The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 11:18 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Classic New Zealand Streamers

Thanks Chris. I like seeing those older patterns, and will look forward to more from your book. They are so much different than what I'm used to seeing. Nice tie and fly. Wish that my heads were as good as yours, perfect.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:11 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Thanks JP and Jimmie

The fish targeted in Taupo and Rotorua are big rainbows
in canterbury big Browns

Chris
Old 04-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Chris: That is a great looking Streamer, thanks for posting the pattern, I'm going to have a go at tying one and trying on the Colorado or maybe over on the Green!

Larry
Old 04-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Chris,

Yep, that will work. I like the old streamer patterns and have caught more than a few fish off guard with them.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-03-2010, 07:05 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Thanks Larry tell me how you go with it larry

Thanks Ard I also enjoy the old patterns they can be pleasing to tie and look at

The Turkey and Red (or Yellow)

Hook- 2-6
Tail- a bunch of brown turkey, the tail ends under the long wing tip
Rib- flat silver or embosed silver
Body- thick wool or mohair usualy yellow or red
Wing- brown turkey, tied long and swept back
Hackle- long soft red cock, let some cover the wing base but very sparse, tie the rest under
Head- black

Click the image to open in full size.

The turkey and red/yellow was one of the flies that was part of the transition from the classic brittish salmon fly to the Taupo streamer that is used today, and no Taupo angler would be with out turkey flies when they were in use.

This Old tie is suposed too be tied rough, thick wool or mohair was normaly used, later devalopments of the turkey was the split tie and in most cases the feather used was grouse, even this style of tying is now forgoten.

The method of tying a split fly is spliting the tail feather of a partridge or grouse and tie it in with the rib using the matching slips, I will do some split flies when I get some of materials needed, split flies were some of the most sucessfull tied and only lost popularity because of the cost of the sutible feathers ($2 each 5-10 years ago).

Chris

Last edited by ChrisinselwynNZ; 04-03-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 AM

Nailer R.Naylor

Hook- 2-6
Tag- Silver
Tail- Golden Pheasent
Body- 4 segments alternate yellow and black (wool or chenille)
Wing- Turkey
Cheeks- Lesser hen pheasent wing coverts
Collar- Soft black cock
Head- Black

This fly made it in to the stores by chance, the night R. Naylor tied it the fly was lost to a trout and several days later the trout was caught by an other angler and the fly was taken in to be copyed, the shop that copyed it was Kellys of Rotorua and appears it one their old pattern sheets.

Chris
Old 04-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Chris,

Really nice and I like the back story, keep them coming.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:05 PM

Thanks Ard
The next one is simalar too this one but more fully dressed and no back ground story

Chris
Old 04-06-2010, 11:23 PM

FlySlinger has a spectacular aura aboutFlySlinger has a spectacular aura about

That is a very nice Streamer Chris....I like It A lot...I am in the process of moving my house ..every thing is packed....When I get into my new house...I Try my hand at some Streamers...They look like Fun.....Look Very nice Chris...

FlySlinger
Old 04-07-2010, 02:43 AM

Thanks Flyslinger I get alot of enjoyment from them

Tongariro Queen

Original tier Unknown

Hook- 2-6
Tag- silver
Tail- golden pheasent topping
body- yellow and red wool alternating with ginger hackle tied between each segment
Wing- turkey
Collar- soft ginger cock
Head- black

This is an old pattern that is no longer used, some tiers have tryed to revamp it for modern fishermen by using flashy chenille and some flash in the wing with no hackle or tag and tail the new pattern looks nice an Im shure it catches fish

Chris