The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 05:34 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Classic New Zealand Streamers

Thanks Ard and larry
The new ties I think have too big a body with the chenille and look out of proportion the golden pheasant and jc make it too me its not right with out it the parsons and the split partridge are my favorites so far.

Chris
Old 05-05-2010, 08:07 AM

cicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to behold

Chris, I watched the last few pages, streamers are great, elegant done, what else to say, bravo.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:19 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Thanks Cicvara

The Bishops blessing (aka silver parsons)

Hook- 2-8
Rib- silver
Body- silver
Wing- pale honey grizzie
Throat- pale honey grizzie
Cheeks- jungle cock
Head- Black

Click the image to open in full size.

Tied by the tiers of the tackle firm Kilwell (same as the grey ghost), this fly was never as popular as the parsons and was mainly used by harling fishermen, but is said too be a good stream fly

Chris
Old 05-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Chris: Another very beautiful streamer pattern! Very nice work indeed!
Today I watched an episode of "Hooked on the Fly" and it was taking place on the South Island of NZ. What I found interesting is that it said the Brown Trout were stocked from Britian in 1867 then in 1878 Lahontan Cutthroat trout were stocked from the Truckee River, CA, then in 1883 Steelhead Rainbow Trout were introduced from Sonoma Creek, CA. then the next 50 years McLeod River Rainbows were stocked. Anyway, I found that history pretty interesting.

Larry
Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Chris,

I'm trying to think of what to say.................So, a really nicely proportioned tie with an excellent head!

Bravo,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-12-2010, 02:11 AM

Thanks Larry and Ard

Larry we aslo got Chinook salmon and brook char from North America the brook char are in the head waters of some of the rivers I fish but only where they are a few feet wide and in one isolated lake (I plan too get there one day) in the lake they have been caught at 3-6lb!, the salmon run right along the canterbury coast Ive found out about a river that is good for geting them on the fly so I hope to make it there next year (low and gin clear).

I diddnt know there were steelhead or cutthroat over here though There have been trout caught that look like cut throat tho

The only sports fish native too NZ were grayling but they were fished to extinction nearly 100 years ago because there were no restrictions then and they were too easy too catch there were no preditors (of any sort) so they were not easy too spook.

I got a book from the libary about this once its realy quite interesting

Chris
Old 05-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Chris: I don't know if it true or not about the steelhead and cutthrouts, that is just what the guy said on the TV program. If you happen to remember what the title of the book was that you read, let me know I would like to read it. This is all very interesting to me.

Larry
Old 05-12-2010, 03:18 PM

Ill try and find out for you Larry

Chris
Old 05-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinselwynNZ View Post
Ill try and find out for you Larry

Chris
Chris: Thanks, much appreciated.

Larry
Old 05-14-2010, 10:55 AM

woosters silvery red

Hook- 2-6
Rib- gold/silver
Body- red
Wing- ginger hackle
Over wing- grey mallard
Throat- ginger
Head- black

Click the image to open in full size.

This pattern is also tied with a white body and called a woosters silvery, it is a Canterbury pattern for the area where I fish (the rivers that flow into lake Ellesmere mostly the Selwyn river)

there is some more Taupo flies I would like too do but I may never get the materials as they cant be shot and people that breed them dont sell as many skins

Chris