The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 08:32 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Classic New Zealand Streamers

The Golden lion

First tied by R K Bragg

Hook- 2-6
Tail- golden pheasant topping
Body- golden tinsel
Rib- gold oval
Wing- black
Sholder- red seal
Throat- Gallina
Head- black

Click the image to open in full size.

This is a pattern that was converted to NZ style from a london UK pattern by christchurch tier R K Bragg who tied most of his flies 70 years ago.

Chris
Old 05-25-2010, 08:53 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Chris,

Good job on that pattern.

FYI - I received the book today: "Trout Flies of New Zealand", by Keith Draper. The picture plates remind me of what you fine in Ray Bergman's book: "Trout". I see what looks like some of your posted patterns on the Taupo and Rotorua Lures plate (plate #1). A lot of good material/patterns in there!

Thanks for putting me onto it.

Pocono
Old 05-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Chris: Another great looking streamer, congrats!

Larry
Old 05-26-2010, 03:17 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Thanks Allan, and Larry

Allan I think that is one of the best books from NZ and cant understand why it is not more popular,another book that has excelent info on NZ hatches is 'Trout stream incets, how to imitate and use them by Norman Marsh' both of these are the best books (very rich in entomoligy sory poor spelling) well my favorites anyway

Larry I plan on sending a copy of the mayfly info for you with the fishing regs I think this will interest you

Chris
Old 06-01-2010, 06:36 AM

Hearts Creek (aka the black prince)

Hook- 2-8
Tag- red ibis or sub (dyed swan)
Rib- silver
Body- black mohair or wool
Wing- black
collar- black
Head- black

If in the north its a black prince and in the south its the Hearts creek, a good night fly.

Chris
Old 06-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Chris,

Please don't think I am ignoring your work but I have ran out of things to say so I will repeat myself, Nice work Chris! You will be like me soon.............. having a lifetime supply of streamers.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-01-2010, 08:47 PM

Thanks Ard, I wont need to tie anymore for next season and probly the one after that but I will any way

Red terror (unknowen)

Hook- 2-8
Rib- silver
Body- red mohair or wool
Wing- red hackle
Throat- red
Topping- green herl
Cheeks- jungle cock nails
Head- black

The red shadow (R K Bragg)

Hook- 2-8
Rib- silver
Body- white wool or mohair
Wing- red laid over black, (secured with rib all feathers)
Collar- Black
Head- black

These flies are both canterbury flies and considered night flies

Chris

Last edited by ChrisinselwynNZ; 06-03-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:37 AM

Yellow Terror

Hook- 2-8
Tag- red wool or mohair
Rib- silver followed bt yellow hackle (both wound through the wing)
Body- yellow mohair or wool
Wing- yellow
Collar- yellow
Head- black

Blondie

Hook 4-8 try to use xlong hooks (I have used a 6x long #4 they are hard too get in NZ but it will be better as the wing wont fowel)
Tail- red hackle soft
Body- silver flat
Wing- blond hair (best if you can get hair from a child it moves better in the water)
Head- Black

The yellow terror is considered as a coloured water fly for Canterbury, and the blondie is best for fish that are chasing white bait and will kill very well most NZ patterns are tied on standard hooks and are a nightmare because the hair binds around the hook.

Chris
Old 06-03-2010, 05:38 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Blondie

Hook 4-8 try to use xlong hooks (I have used a 6x long #4 they are hard too get in NZ but it will be better as the wing wont fowel)
Tail- red hackle soft
Body- silver flat
Wing- blond hair (best if you can get hair from a child it moves better in the water)
Head- Black

Chris[/QUOTE]

Too funny, Chris! Are their variants using brown and red human hair?

I'll be that pattern would look good with P-Bear as the wing (one of my favorite materials for hairwinging, due to its natural translucency in the water).

Great patterns - keep them coming!

Pocono
Old 06-05-2010, 03:24 AM

Too funny, Chris! Are their variants using brown and red human hair?

funny story I took my 3 1/2 year old to get a hair cut yesterday and the hair dresser said has he been cutting his own hair? I had too say no I did it was knotted about this time I thought it wise not too ask that she keep the longer bits aside for flies

I havnt heard of any others but cant see why they wouldnt work

Chris