The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 04:50 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Classic New Zealand Streamers

Great color combination on the Gold Demon, Chris. I keep going back to that fly. I like the length of the tail and it's fullness. It works very well with the length of the throat. A very "balanced" fly that looks like it would swim well.

I'm following along in the book that you recommended. According to my version, there are 38 Taupo/Rotorua flies on plate 1, 40 Canterbury flies on plate 2; as well as 71 wets on plate 3 and 51 dries on plate 4. So, you still have some running room! - which is good news for all of us that are enjoying these really nice patterns that you're tying up and sharing.

Pocono
Old 06-20-2010, 02:07 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

The Brunton #2

Hook- 2-8
Rib- Silver
Body- White Floss
Wing- Ginger
Throat- Ginger
Topping- Peacock Sword
Head- Black

Click the image to open in full size.

This fly was the design of Lou Brunton for the selwyn mouth and is part of a serries of smelt flies tyed by Brunton (this was tyed for the swap).

The Hairy Dog

Tail- Spanniel Hair Black
Rib- Flat Silver
Body- Red Wool or Mohair
Wing- Spanniel Hair Black
Throat- Black Cock
Head Black

This fly was created by a few men at the pub one night when they harvested some hair off a spanniel and decided too make a fly from it this is a very good night fly (from the 1930s) and is still widely used today, the dog hair can be subistuted with squirrel tail but I have found possum tail too be the best (this one is tied as a little somthing extra for the swap)

Chris
Old 07-25-2010, 07:33 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

The Christie

Hook- 2-6
Rib- Silver
Body- Red Wool or Mohair
Wing- Ginger
Collar- Black
Head- Black

The first tyer R. Christie, this is a cantebury fly that was once popular, more than 50 years ago

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 07-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Chris: Nice looking streamer! I was headed out to do some streamer fishing this weekend and got side tracked by the wife, maybe I will get to try out some of your great looking streamers next weekend.

Larry
Old 07-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice streamer Chris...experience always wins the day
Old 07-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Very fishy looking tie Chris, nice work.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-25-2010, 08:16 PM

Thanks guys

Larry I was suposed too get out fishing this week end just been but it has rained all week end so Ill have too try for next weekend (I was planing on trying the still water stuff)

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 08-08-2010, 11:45 PM

The Orange Witch

Hook 4-8
Tail- Black squrrel
Body- Orange wool
Cheeks- Chuckar Partridge
Head- Black

Tied killer style

1, tie the tail and body on, (slim is better)

2, choose 2 feathers that match well like the two I am holding

3, tie the feathers on one at a time ( the trick is to use as few feathers as possable and have them touching all the way around so no body is showing and as little hook as possable this is what makes a well tied killer such a hand full and on some patterns you will need as many as 22 feathers)

4, form a small head and whip finish ( chuckar is the best feather I have used because it is dish shaped and just falls into place it is flat feathers that are hard)

The finished fly

This is a fly that is fished evening, night, and first thing in the morning, one angler in the 1960's is said too have taken 58 fish in 8 trips with this fly from the Ellesmere rivers , and will even work well on land locked salmon.

Lords Lure

Original tyer Frank Lord

Hook 4-8
Tail- Black squrrel
Body- Red or Yellow wool
Cheeks- wood cock plumiage (ginger feathers are best but buff will do) tied killer
Head- Black

This one took 22 feathers

Leslies lure

Hook- 4-8
Tail- A Bunch of Pheasant Tail Fibers
Body- Red or Yellow Wool
Cheeks- Hen Pheasant flank or wing covets tied killer 2 to a side
Head- Black

Ill get the story that goes with each when I get home and post them next time I can

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

Old 08-09-2010, 10:56 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Chris, very nice flies!

When you say "tied killer"; are you referring to the vertical matched feathers on both sides of the hook or to the fact that you're tying in two to a side for each pair that you apply?

These patterns are very similar to some ideas that I got by tying up a bunch of flatwing patterns for Striped Bass. It's the same idea; just turned 90 degrees on the hook.

My favorites are the Orange Witch and the Leslie's Lure; both of which I'll bet would look equally nice with Jungle Cock eyes.

Pocono
Old 08-10-2010, 08:59 PM

When you say "tied killer"; are you referring to the vertical matched feathers on both sides of the hook or to the fact that you're tying in two to a side for each pair that you apply?

This means tied in an oval shape with as many feathers as you need to achieve this ( and vertical)

I think that most of the killer flies would look best with jc nails I think that jc was not used when they were devaloped ( around the 1920's-30's)

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite