The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 08:38 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Classic New Zealand Streamers

Chris,

OK, I think I've got it.

That's why you said that its easier with feathers that are "cupped" or dish-shaped; like the chuckar partridge. Whereas the woodcock are straighter feathers; requiring more feathers to get the oval profile when tied in on the vertical plane.

Pocono
Old 08-12-2010, 01:59 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

The Keeler

Hook- 4-8
Tail- Black Squrrel
Body- Rear Half Yellow Wool or Mohair, Front Half Red Wool or Mohair
Wing- Rear Tyed Mid Body Yellow Golden Pheasant Rump Feathers, Front Red Golden Pheasant Breast Feathers
Head- Black

Click the image to open in full size.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 08-12-2010, 09:34 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Two of the most unusual (first and last) I've seen in ages; totally new to me.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:25 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

The Spa Special

Hook - #2 - #8
Tail - A Bunch of Turkey Tail (try to match the grey of the partridge feathers)
Rib - Silver
Body - Yellow Mohair or Wool
Cheeks - Hungarian Partridge (use the feathers that are grey with no thick barring).

Click the image to open in full size.

This killer style fly was first created by Leslie Newdick, one of the hosts of the spa hotel in Taupo many years ago. The hotel had the rights to a section of the Waikato river, and it is said to be a very efective fly in that area.

I think that with all that paratridge its gotta be good

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 01-25-2011, 06:13 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Chris,

I like that fly!. Is that two paired partridge feathers per side; two on top and two on the sides?

Pocono
Old 01-25-2011, 07:46 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Great flies Chris. Funny I just came across this thread. I have recently tied a couple of Killer Style flies. I will post a thread on that, so I don't take away from your's. I am really interested in the Killer Style Patterns especially.
Kelly
Old 01-26-2011, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Chris,

I like that fly!. Is that two paired partridge feathers per side; two on top and two on the sides?

Pocono
Thanks Allan, they are both tied on the side of the hook 2 each side one cocked up and one cocked down (matched to cup the hook)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
Great flies Chris. Funny I just came across this thread. I have recently tied a couple of Killer Style flies. I will post a thread on that, so I don't take away from your's. I am really interested in the Killer Style Patterns especially.
Kelly
Thanks Kelly, I look foward to seing yours
I have plenty more to post as I get to tying them

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

Old 03-04-2011, 07:41 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Classic New Zealand Streamers

Hi All.
ChrisinselwynNZ Nice Flies,you have put some time in tying,photographing & posting them.
I've been using Kiwi patterns for many years in Australia,my favourites are Hammill's Killer,Mrs Simpson,Lord's Killer,Craig's Nighttime & the list goes on,also I'd seen the Pott's Pet before in Keith Drapers Books,however I haven't tied or used it.
Cheers Brian.

Last edited by Liphookedau; 03-16-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:28 PM

Thanks Brian, most of the patterns posted are from kieth drappers book, there are still a good number of canterbury flies to post also

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

Old 03-15-2011, 07:37 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Classic New Zealand Streamers

Hi.
Chris,again very well done.
Pocono a bit of info.
The method of splitting the feathers with ribbing is a method unique to New Zealand,it is mainly used when tying the Matuka style of Flies(the Green,Black,Yellow,Red etc)where the larger wider hackle feathers are used.
Also for the Craig's Nighttime I use The Blue Waterfowl Cock feathers as Pukeko are almost impossible to obtain plus a slip of yellow feather over them.
We used yellow feathers because Jungle Cock was hard to source,being from India it wasn't allowed into Australia for years.
Brian.

Last edited by Liphookedau; 03-16-2011 at 05:32 AM. Reason: To Correct Spelling.