The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Black Martinez Pattern

Here is a pattern that Jimmie sent me with some materials to tie it with, it is called a Black Martinez and it is real popular with some of the fly fishers in the Sierra's. It is fished dead drift, let rise, no retrieve.

Black Martinez
Black Martinez Click the image to open in full size.
Hook TMC 5262 #12 to #18
Tail Guinea (Big Dots)
Thread Black 8/0
Rib Gold Tinsel
Abdomen Black Angora Dub
Thorax Black Chenile
Wing Case Green Raffia/Swiss Straw
Hackle Gray Partridge
Old 04-02-2010, 12:00 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Black Martinez Pattern

Larry that looks like a killer pattern I like it

Chris
Old 04-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Chris! I think it is also a killer pattern, that is the first one I have tied. I'm going to tie up a few and give them a try on the local streams and see how they do in the Rockies.

Thanks Jimmie for sharing such a great looking fly pattern!

Larry
Old 04-02-2010, 12:41 AM

cicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to behold

Larry well, I like the flies, and this your way of showing.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:21 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Really nice Larry. Thanks for posting that. I'd like to know if it works in all areas.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:04 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Soft hackle nymphs like that are very effective patterns; at least for the fish that we have up here in the Poconos.

I like the density of the partridge collar, just enough to give overall coverage, depending on how the fly lies in the water, but not so much that the leg/antennae imitation is lost.

You're apt to get the majority of your strikes when you're at the end of your drift, pause the rod and let the fly drift up against the current; since you're imitating a rising pupae at that point.

We had a guy up here named Jim Leisenring who used that technique all the time and was locally renowned for his routine ability to out-fish almost anyone else. The technique that you describe to activate the fly and make it attractive to the fish is known to us as the "Leisenring lift".

Fishing Smarter for Trout - Trout fishing runs - part 2

Nice looking fly!

Pocono
Old 04-02-2010, 08:02 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Great looking fly. The Leisenring Lift has become well known everywhere I believe. I learned it under that name many years back.
Let us know how you make out!
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

That'll work for sure, though I'd likely sub peacock herl for the chenille thorax.

"(Big Dots)" amused me.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:10 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Great looking fly Larry...Thanks for posting it and the recipe..

Dan
Old 04-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Larry....I should say Tying Master...I think I'll have to send you another flybox soon ....after seeing all these new wonderful patterns