The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 08:10 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Post EIGHT - 4 the EASTSIDE...

I will going up to the Eastern Side of the Sierra Nevada range at the end of this month, for a week, with my son, his GF and my youngest daughter...what follows are some patterns I have been working on for that trip...

Click the image to open in full size.

The two "old dogs", me n' Angelo...on the East Walker River, Bridgeport, CA...

SIMPLY RED…(And, PURPLE)…

HOOK: Gamakatsu C12-B, #18
THREAD: Tiemco 16/0, Black
BEAD: 5/64 Black Nickel, (4 wraps 0.10 lead)…or Tung
ABDOMEN: Red Krystal Flash
RIB: Wapsi, Silver, xsm
THORAX: Spirit River Iridsescent dyed peacock eye, Purple

This is a variation of Craig Matthew’s ” Bloody Midge”, out of his BRF Shop, using a new product for the thorax from Spirit River…

LIME/FLASH-OLIVE CADDIS LARVA #14...

HOOK: TMC 2457, Daiicht 1120, Mustad CO68, # 14
THREAD: Gordon Griffith 14/0 Sheer, Brown
UNDER/ABDOMEN:Flashabou, Lime Green
OVER/ABDOMEN: Spirit River Jelly Rope, Olive, SM (angle cut end)
THORAX:Spirit River, Squirrel Blend, Rust
BEAD: 7/64 Brass, 5 wraps 0.010 lead or sub., or Black Tung

AMBER KF SERENDIPITY…

HOOK: TMC 5262, #14-#18

THREAD: Gordon Griffith 14/0 Sheer, Brown

ABDOMEN: Portion of a stand of Amber Zelon (to hook size), 1stand Pearl KF, 1 strand Rusty Brown KF - twisted

WING: White Zelon

Specifically for a small Amber Caddis that appears on the East Walker in late May and early June…This color works on some other rivers I and my guys fish in Montana…

BLACK/SILVER ZEBRA HOT SPOT MIDGE…

HOOK: TMC 2487, Daiichi 1130, Mustad c49s, #18-#22

BEAD: Silver or Copper, sized to hook, Brass with 4 turns of .010 lead or sub. or Tung

ABDOMEN: Wapsi 70 Denier, Black or Tiemco 16/0 Black ( I love this thread!!!)

RIB: Wapsi, Silver or Copper, xsm

SHUCK: Pearl Midge Flash or, in this case, Cascade Crest, Midge Rainbow Flash

HOT SPOT: Wapsi Ultra Thread 70 Denier, Fl. Red or FL. Orange…coated with Hard as Hull

A variation on the standard Zebra Midge used with great effectiveness on the East Walker River for a very long time…some regulars there refer to the standard pattern as “Little Blackie”…it has taken many good sized Browns and Rainbow in this river…

OLIVE KF OWENS SERENDIPITY…

HOOK: TMC 2302, 5262, Daiichi 1760, #12-#18

THREAD: Wapsi Ultra, 70 Denier, Black or Gordon Griffith 14/0 Sheer for smaller sized hooks

ABDOMEN: Light Olive Zelon, 1 strand of Olive Krystal Flash, 1 strand Rusty Brown Krystal Flash – TWISTED – with rubber grip Hackle pliers

I started playing around with this variation of Craig Matthew’s Guide Serendipity a number of years ago using old Mustad 9272 hooks I had laying around from the 70′s…a lot of them snapped in my vice and broke while fishing…when these puppies started nailing Trout for me in most of the Eastern Sierra waters I fish, I switched over to the TMC and Daiichi hooks. I am working on a new variation (ABOVE), in size #16, which will employ Amber Zelon, Pearl and Rusty Brown KF and maybe some double beads on the TMC 2302 hook…( I believe that this pattern is being taken as a Caddis by the Trouties)…

CREAM/TAN-ish MIDGE PUPA…

HOOK: TMC 2487, Daiiachi 1130, Mustad c49s, #18-#22

THREAD: Tiemco 16/0 Black or Brown

ABDOMEN: Wapsi Ultra, 70 Denier, Cream

RIB: Wapsi, Silver, xsm

WING: Hareline Sparkle Organza, Brilliant White

THORAX: Spirit River Iridsescent dyed peacock eye, Brown

BEAD: Wapsi, Killer Caddis, Diamond, 15/0

I updated what was left in one of my Midge boxes with this cream version using Organza for the wing instead of Zelon, the new Spirit River Peacock instead of Tan Ice Dub and a Diamond bead rather than a Glass Mercury bead. The bio-mass of the East Walker includes a huge selection of Midges in various colors…for me, Black, Cream , Red, Olive, Pearl, White and Blue have been most effective…on occasion, a Midge will be the only pattern the “Big Boys” want…and that, can be a REAL challenge…

BROWN/OLIVE KF OWENS SERENDIPITY…

HOOK: TMC 2302, 5262, Daiichi 1760, #12-#18

THREAD: Wapsi Ultra, 70 Denier, Black or Gordon Griffith 14/0 Sheer for smaller sized hooks

ABDOMEN: Equal strands of Olive and Rusty Brown Zelon, 1 Strand Olive Krystal Flash, 1 strand Rusty Brown or Black Krystal Flash…again TWISTED

Play around with color variations for what might work in different locations. These are easy to tie and they do not disappoint…

“GREEN BEANIE” MAYFLY…

HOOK: Daiichi 1560, #18

THREAD: Tiemco 16/0, Olive

BEAD: Green Cyclops or Lucent, 5/64

ABDOMEN: Peacock Micro Tubing over working thread

BACKFLASH: Mirage Opal Tinsel

TAIL: Natural Pheasant Tail Fibers

RIB: Wapsi, Olive, xsm

THORAX: SLF Prism, Brown/Olive

WING CASE/LEGS: 6 strands Black Krystal Flash

Little Brown and Olive Mayflies are prevalent on the East Walker at this time of year. Tailwater Tinys, Dec Hogan’s Military Mayfly and other patterns using the olive/brown theme – ROCK !!!

My son, Michael, up on the West Walker River...one of the locations we hope to fish...IF, it is not blown out...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 05-04-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:42 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: EIGHT - 4 the EASTSIDE...

Nice looking bugs! It's midge heaven over there.

Last year in early June the WW was nearly out of its banks. I suspect it'll be really high with this hot weather coming up...there's more snow at 8,000 feet this year than last. I'd throw in the float tubes.

-Mike
Old 05-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice posting PT,

I like it when there are a series of patterns that one can simply scroll down through to view. Your tying is very precise; the patterns are all new to me and I hope you find your river at a usable level.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

PT: Thanks for sharing the great patterns, I really like the way you did the twisted bodies on the Serendipity patterns! Excellent fly tying and good luck with your Sierra Nevada range fly fishing trip!

Larry

Old 05-04-2011, 01:24 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Another superb group of flies PT. Take this as the highest compliment. Every fly that you post I want to tie. Thank you for sharing.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:46 AM
cariboo87

I love the first picture of you and your pup.