The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 09:12 PM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road
Default Gray Fox Mayfly

Hi Everyone,
I wanted to try and tie something different today so I decided to tie a gray fox. Tell me what you think.

Click the image to open in full size.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/bobbyc21/DSCN0512.jpg
Old 04-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Gray Fox Mayfly

Bobby,

Looks good to me! I used to fish Big Pine Creek in North Central PA. and we had Gray Fox, March Brown, and Brown Drake all come at once in the area sometimes (overlapping hatches) I used the fly you are showing for everything simply by varying the shade of the dubbing on the body.

Looks like a fish catcher to me, where are you going to fish with them?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-23-2010, 04:12 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Nice looking fly!

Larry
Old 04-23-2010, 06:40 AM

Hi Ard, I am going to be fishing the South Branch of the Raritan River in NJ. It is located in the north west part of the state near PA and it is a very beautiful . The gray fox here also hatches with man other mayflies around late may into june.

Bobby
Old 04-23-2010, 12:12 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Bobby looks like a very nice tying job to me...

Dan
Old 04-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice job- the gray fox is one of my favorite hatches and you and Ard are exactly right -- it always seemed like there's a ton of stuff hatching along with it, either overlapping with march browns and the last of the hendricksons in early may or sulphurs and green drakes in early june

BTW the Hendricksons should be going on strong now...
Old 04-23-2010, 01:35 PM

Hi Mark,
I got out to the stream last weekend and there was a pretty good Hendrickson hatch. I lost a few fish and caught one. It was a very nice day on the water over all.

Bobby