The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 05:39 PM

Offshore is on a distinguished road
Default First go at tying on Eumer teardrop tubes...

I've been fascinated with tube flies since the British Fly Fair International last year and I recently purchased some Eumer tubes and tube adapter from Balticpikeflies in Finland... Simon Graham for those that know him runs the highly acclaimed PikeFlyFishing Articles blogspot. I've played with plastic tubes but having seen Simon's ties using the teardrop tubes I thought - I must have a go... And they are not as fiddly as they look... I believe that Eumer are now in the US...

The Hollow Tie... first attempt at a hollow tie on a tube and following a talk thru on the internet from Andy Elliott... him tying in Belfast and sending me a photo of each stage - this is what I came up with! The Hollow is on the 22mm gold teardrop and only uses Bucktail secured with Bug-Bond... it'll never come apart... sadly no dubbin in between the ties! Maybe next time. Tying on a tube that isn't parallel was interesting, never mind not on a hook shank

By contrast the Orange Baitfish is on a 15mm tube and uses Icelandic Sheep, SF Blend, 2 reverse ties of bucktail then a veil of Orange SF topped off with black slinky and orange tape eyes encapsulated in the Bug-Bond...

Both tubes were tipped with Sakuma Manta 2/0 for the exercise. The Sakuma Manta is a Varivas Big Mouth by a different name... I believe!

Both have been tied with the salt in mind BUT as my first love is pike - so who better to try them out on... proof of the pudding and all that!

I have a lake 5 mins from the house that I do all my fly testing on... mostly for big patterns I have to use knotable wire for obvious reasons.

So off to the lake for 6am yesterday and by 8.30pm these 4 beasties were in the bag... 2 a piece to the two patterns... the orange Bfish was fished on a floating line whilst the Hollow tie on an intermediate rio striped bass... a great day to be out... spawning having finished 3 weeks ago on the lake... but some still carrying the scars of the annual passion fest!

The net Is a York Salmon Gye which I believe is 24" in diameter for scale...

May not be picture perfect ties but who cares with the fish caught... now to tie more for a salty trip!!

(For the truly anal amongst us who look at photos in detail... the Rio Striped Bass set up is on a Loomis Crosscurrent GLX 9# with an Abel Super 10 whilst the Cortland Pike Pro 333 is on a custom built 9/10# Harrison Advanced Rods fly rod built in Liverpool with a Daniellson 8/11 LW reel (non stock size)... I had the rod named "Caledfwlch" which is the old Welsh name for King Arthur's sword Excalibur... I come from Celtic parentage... my father is Welsh and mother from Northern Ireland...)

Click the image to open in full size.

BUG_BOND
Old 04-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First go at tying on Eumer teardrop tubes...

Offshore: Very nice looking tube flies! From the looks of your outing it looks like the Pike like them just as well! Congrats!

Larry
Old 04-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I think the tube fly concept is interesting myself but am slow to adopt new methods. Sooner or later I may join you in tube land. Your flies obviously work well.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-25-2010, 01:21 AM

Cheers Larry.

Ard, I have to admit I couldn't get my head around the tube thang for a long time!... however, having tried it I can only say that it adds another dimension to my fishing... flies that you may well have lost due to retrieving from snags and bendinging the wire need only have a new hook and they are good to go... I know that the hooks used have a longer shank than I would like and so I'll be after some short shanks to play with! in future... but they work... I also like the fact that the fly leaves the hook and is jettisoned up the line saving it from the rigours of the pike's mouth.

All good fun... become a believer

David

BUG_BOND
Old 04-25-2010, 02:46 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi David,

Good info, thank you. I hope you will continue to post pictures of your flies and the fish that take them, Ill keep an eye peeled.

Ard
Old 04-25-2010, 04:08 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

David, the hooks I used with my tubes are a fairly short shank, one of the advantages of the tubes. With short shank hooks you get less leverage effect as the fish fights.

Your tubes look very good for your first effort; you mentioned the lack of dubbing on your top tube, I believe. If you want the Sheep to flow outward to maintain the large fluid movement and shape; wrap a hackle on to the tube just prior to tying on the Sheep. I used Schlappen on some of my tubes, and Woodduck flank on some.

It took me a long time to begin tying tubes; but I do see the practical side of them now.

Dan
Old 04-30-2010, 09:33 AM

Dan... I suffered the leverage effect today... I need some short shank... 1/0 2/0 & 3/0 hooks... what do you guys use... the result of the leverage... but showing that the orange baitfish wasn't a one trick pony! What I put on the UK forum...

I've just got off the phone to my pal after recounting today's fishing. I remembered it is a year plus a few days since he and I fished our socks off on Chew (big trout lake in the UK famous for its pike) and I lost the biggie! A year on and it happens again... doh I am destined not to catch a 20lb pike on the fly... it'll be a long time coming! So my diary reads...

What an interesting day... up very early... almost the time before I went to bed! Half a tank of petrol later I was at a new water... rarely fished for the crocs and I'd been told that it would have to be a "dawn raid" so as not to excite the silver fishermen too much. Tales of a monster lurking beneath the depths are legend...

I decided to set the same team up as last Friday and explore the margins with the orange baitfish and then the depths with the bucktail Hollow Fleye. Initially I was going un-rewarded even though I could see swirls and bait fish jumping.

I decided that a particularly weedy area might hold and gave it a go... I searched this mark for a good 15 minutes... she had to be here, then my line locked up and pulled... and then the water boiled like a witches cauldron... in the midst of this the murky water fell away as a head the size of a shovel appeared. I damn near choked... this was going to be it.

With one shake of her head she left my fly intact and went for the depths... some suitable cussing occurred as I flailed the water attempting to tempt her back. In the words of the erudite Mr Homer Simpson... "Doh!"

I skirted the lake with the feeling of elation I'd found a pike... deflated that I'd touched lucky and lost the biggie! Ah well there's always next time. I had a play in a couple of other marks and satisfied myself with a couple of jacks... better than blanking!

BUG_BOND
Old 05-01-2010, 12:01 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

"Dan... I suffered the leverage effect today... I need some short shank... 1/0 2/0 & 3/0 hooks... what do you guys use... the result of the leverage... but showing that the orange baitfish wasn't a one trick pony! What I put on the UK forum..."

David, I am using some hooks I picked up in Florida for Pier fishing. They are Owner size 4 Mosqito hooks on the hook package. They are an octopus style hook and have worked for me so far. I'm not sure how big they went size wise, but it seems like I saw some 1/0 on the pegboard. You might try a google search for them.

Dan
Old 05-04-2010, 02:01 AM

Dan... Cheers for that... I'll google them and I know the Owner distributor in the UK so I might ask for a sample hook to look at.

David

BUG_BOND