The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 04:52 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of
Default The magic of worms

I stopped by a rather new fly shop on my way back from fishing in the SC mountains last week. Jason is the owner operator of Chattooga River Fly Shop and what a great shop he's put together. It was a pleasure to visit with him, and pack up on fly tying supplies.

Talking with him about fishing the local rivers, what was hatching and how to fish different patterns was the true pleasure and he shared with me one of his latest patterns. His pattern used lime green and florescent light green ultra chenille for body and legs. Its a sizable offering in #6 - #8 and he had pictures of the actual worm.

Its easy to understand the importance of worms in fish diet as they are many times simply large juicy packages of protein. these Oak worms are infesting many states and areas so probably something fishable through the states. Tossing it under an over hanging tree with a sharp lift of the rod just before straightened line slaps the worm onto the water. It pulls large trout from a dozen + feet away with that flushing toilet action as they circle it quick before taking.

In any case, an easy quick tie. I needed a better indicator and this one floats like a battleship. Check your area for coloration and twist a few up.
#8 long shank mustad
wally world lime green sticky back foam sheet
light tan ultra chenille

Click the image to open in full size.

tight lines all!
Old 06-03-2010, 06:39 PM

cwg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The magic of worms

...must...have....
Old 06-03-2010, 07:00 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

the legs go on while touching turns first pass down the shank (eye to bend). the foam strip is cut a skoash longer than double the shank and poked onto the hook point in the middle (length and width wise) and slid up the bend to where you leave the thread (hook barb). the foam is top and bottom of the hook and segmented as the thread is returned to the eye. eg....slip on the foam and align top and bottom. (Advance thread on shank only as you segment) stopping the thread just before the back pair of legs for the next smaller sized segment. Once each segment is pulled, advance the thread wraps on the hook shank..fold over the foam, go over the top foam strip with thread coming towards you from under the shank...over the top foam...align the bottom foam...two full wraps around top/bottom foam and pull...splay back open the foam...wrap thread on the hook shank to between the next leg pair and repeat....small/thinner segment before eye ending with a thread head....I used colored pen for the little details but I doubt it would matter. shorter legs were better looking legs and a flame PFM'd (pure magic'd) the little feet (ultra chenille is flamable...) but carefully apply fire or short legs become no legs. Its not so quick a tie that burning the legs off in the very last step wont make your shoulders slump.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Jonathan, thanks for posting the fly and instructions, that looks like a real winner-- and very clever.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

JJ: Very cool looking worm.

Larry
Old 06-04-2010, 01:23 PM

Thanks Mark and Larry, of course "worm" should really be cattapillar but when you look up the bug it is called an Oak worm. They come in a wide variety of colors across the states and it surprised me how the trout reacted to it...(slow day my ass). The summer fishing is here for us in SC. Terrestrial fishing is turning up more and the foam trick is only the same used for foam hopper bodies. I'm working on a change to make the legs point down more by having the top foam wider than the bottom. that way it folds/squeezes the leg down, more like the real bug. catapillars have a set of legs per segment and I have made one on #6 with 10 pairs (smaller segments) but the smaller segments didn't float as well. kind of a ballance between quality/time/floatation but the pattern posted catches fish...It was like a LM bass had waked over and smashed it. Trick is to wait for them to finish swirling around it, wait for the take before lifting the rod for hook set. Kinda nurve wracking actually but sort of like top water fishing for stripers with shad imitations...they often do the same thing.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:15 PM

FlySlinger has a spectacular aura aboutFlySlinger has a spectacular aura about

Those ARE SOME NICE LOOKING WORMS i GOT TO HAVE SOME

FLYSLIINGER
Old 06-04-2010, 03:30 PM

Foam smaller on the bottom

and Brown with no foam on the bottom ( there is a bit of dubbing layed down first to add leg pair seperation)
Old 06-05-2010, 09:30 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

JJ, first off; very nice looking fly...You mentioned the legs were ultra chenille; how are you attaching it? Are they figure eight wrapped for each segment? Are they burnt before attaching or after? Sorry for all the questions; want to get it right when I tye some up...

Dan
Old 06-05-2010, 01:14 PM

Thanks Dan,
legs are cut long for ease of handling and attached perpandicular to the hook shank with cross over thread, just leg and shank in an X. Legs are tied on before the foam. After finishing the foam plus head and whip finish, I then cut the legs the length I want them and quickly pass the flame along the tips repeatedly until I get the desired effect.

I'll take some pics and post.