The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up The Batistou Special

You know my friend Jean-Baptiste and I are mad about chasing big chub on sight either on nymph or on dry .We have imagined and tested lots of flies over the years,this one is the best dry when it's getting warm.It's very easy to tie not always easy to see that's why Batistou added a signal wing (white,orange or fluo green according to light conditions)
Click the image to open in full size.

Allan had the opportunity to use it last weekend and was really impressedHere's what he said in his report: The fly of the weekend was the “Batistou Special”, a fly designed by one of J-P’s fishing buddies. Very simple fly; black foam body, black mid-section hackle and a white signal wing. It hangs in the film, but is just visible. And the fish loved it! It’s on my “to tie up” list; I want to see how it does here in the US (if I can ever find trout water here in coastal Maine).
Old 05-22-2011, 12:45 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Batistou Special

Its just about that time of year for the trout to be eating these. I'm sure you won't have too much trouble finding trout water in Maine.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:09 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I can vouch for it; the Batistou Special just plain works; for Chubs and probably for a lot of other species as well.

When I first saw it I thought; ant pattern, but it's more than that. I'm going to tie it up in #s14-18 and have a go with them when I get to that trout water.

Pocono
Old 05-22-2011, 03:36 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I've always been a fan of flies like these they have a lot of "range" from big honking beetles on down to tiny midge style flies.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Allan,

Just where are you on the coast? Maybe its time for a freighter canoe and going for Smallmouth. There are a bunch of lakes in Maine.

JP, that is a nice fly.

Frank
Old 05-23-2011, 06:26 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Allan,

Just where are you on the coast? Maybe its time for a freighter canoe and going for Smallmouth. There are a bunch of lakes in Maine.

JP, that is a nice fly.

Frank
Frank,

We're on Bailey Island; latitude about the same as Portland, but about 10 miles East (I changed my location on my forum chevron)

Yup, I've been thinking "Bass" for about 2 months now. Smallmouth fishing is available locally, but is more of an "August/September" thing around here, and Striper fishing is just a step or two from my front door. I'm within reasonable striking distance of both the Sebago and Rangeley lakes systems. The only fly pattern books that I brought with me for the Summer are for freshwater and saltwater Bass. I've been thinking Bluegills, too. Still no place to tie, though.

Good trout water is much further inland. I'm working on it. I've made some friends at the central LLBean store in South Freeport, ME (only about 20 minutes away) and they're working up some lists of little-known local trout streams for me. We'll see; I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.

On another front; staying "retired" is definitely becoming a challenge......................

Back to the thread - The "BS" is a great pattern!

Pocono
Old 10-12-2011, 01:45 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

This fly have everything that chub loves,color,shape and it will make sound like plop when it touch water...every chub must check what fly touch surface
Old 10-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

You're right Mladen...and for sure you know what you're talking about
Allan decided to tie some after our fishing weekend and had a pleasant surprise...Sometimes the Fly Definitely Does Make a Difference
Old 10-12-2011, 02:12 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
You're right Mladen...and for sure you know what you're talking about
Allan decided to tie some after our fishing weekend and had a pleasant surprise...Sometimes the Fly Definitely Does Make a Difference
Well,I do know thing or two because I fish chub on most difficult river in my country..Upper Zeta river is just like chalk stream rivers and chub is much more unforgiving then trout.Maybe some forum members will think that I am joker or crazy indeed but chub in every way is more difficult species for fly fishing than trout...