The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 04:26 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Leeches

I call this Bad Hair Day Leech
Click the image to open in full size.

Marabou tail. Simi Seal Dub in Blood Leech color mixed with Hareline Ice Dub in Chocolate Brown. Dai-Riki 710 hook size 6. This one has a wire rib. Ribs are optional,just as extra weight.
This can be tied in size 6-10 in your favorite streamer hook. I just happened to use the Dai-Riki hook here.

These look very much like a Mohair Leech, or a DDH Leech. (Simi Seal is my main part of the dubbing) You can add a beadhead to these if you prefer. I like the eyes a bit better. Either way works. The DDH Leech was a heavy influence on this fly. This has a much more narrow profile, as you can see. Optional: wire rib, lead weight
Old 05-31-2011, 07:37 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Leeches

That "Simi Seal" is the best, huh? What color is that marabou in pic #1. Good looking stuff. After an outing a few weeks ago I'm thinking of becoming a mostly streamer guy, specifically Simi Seal. Some J Fair short shuck too. Their are a bunch of great anglers using streamers only (mostly). Some on here.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:51 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

The marabou is from Feathercraft. It is Ed's Fancy Marabou Mottled Brown. I don't know if Simi Seal is the best, but I sure do like it. I am big on streamers. Most of what I tie are streamers.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly: Great looking streamers! I agree with Jimmie, I really like the simi-seal.

Larry

Old 05-31-2011, 08:58 PM

Glad you liked them Larry. Thanks for looking at them.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice looking flies. I am going to have to go get some simi-seal. Good looking stuff.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:21 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Nice looking flies. I am going to have to go get some simi-seal. Good looking stuff.

Get it straight from the source you won't find better pricing or quicker shipping anywhere on the web.

You can also get it in Mega (longer length) which I don't think anyone else carries. also check out his other materials like diamond hair and minnow hair, I believe you are a streamer guy so they might have some interest for you.

I also use both his az synthetic dubbing and sparkle dubbing.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:23 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Arizona Simi Seal is good stuff. It is angora goat mixed in with some flashy stuff. A fly tier named John Rohmer came up with it. Arizona Simi Seal can be gotten at most retailers that stock Metz products.

Edit: I forgot that John Rohmer sells directly.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:34 PM

Thanks guys. I am going to have to check out that site. I don't have spare money now, but when I do, I will try out some of his other products. Sounds like he has some quality material. I will bookmark that site for later use, thanks again. Glad y'all liked the flies.

update: dang, I just looked at his website...he has some fantastic stuff there, and you are right...good prices...I shouldn't have seen that...lol
Old 05-31-2011, 11:44 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post

Edit: I forgot that John Rohmer sells directly.

Yup, his shop (Arizona Fly Fishing) closed last year so he opened up the web store to sell his materials and flies, plus as a fishing report/blog.