The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 10:20 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stewart's Black Spider

Hereís a pattern that comes to us from across the pond and that goes way back to 1857 when it was first described in a book published by W. E. Stewart. Iíve found it to be a great fish-getter. Fished either across and down like a standard wet fly or up and across to feeding trout, this fly seems to get the job done all the time; whether thereís a hatch on or not.

Itís a very simple pattern, but can be tied in a variety of ways. I tie it differently than Oliver Edwards; closer to the way that Davie McPhail ties it, but still somewhat different. The twisted Starling hackle is what gives this fly so much action in the water; even in stillwaters.

1. Here are the materials that you need: 1. Hook: Daiichi 1180, #16, 2. Thread: Danville FlyMaster 6/0, tawny brown, 3. Cobblerís wax, black, 4. Starling shoulder hackle, iridescent green. Thatís it.

Click the image to open in full size.

2. Thread the hook from the eye back to the half-way point between the eye and the bend using tying thread.

3. Next, wax the thread with the black Cobblerís wax (this stuff is hard, but 5 seconds in the microwave gets it very workable, and it stays that way for a good long time). Itís the blackened tawny brown thread that gives the fly its body color. Wind the thread back towards the bend until the blackened thread begins to wrap. Then, wind it forward to a point one eye width back from the eye. Youíll notice the color change immediately when it starts to wrap on the hook.

4. Reverse the thread and wind it back towards the bend; to a point midway between the eye and the bend.

5. Next prep a Starling hackle. To do this, take one of the iridescent green hackles from the shoulder of either wing. Pull off the fuzz at the bottom until you get to the green barbs. Then, put the cream tip of the hackle in your hackle pliers and pull the exposed barbs back away from the tip. Next, hold the hackle in your left hand (pinching the barbs to hold them in place), remove the hackle pliers and cut the tip of the hackle off flat; leaving an inverted pyramid ďanchorĒ at the tip of the fly. Tip tie in the hackle on the top of the hook at the anchor point. Then wrap the thread forward up to a point one eye width back from the eye.

6. Now, take the hackle stem and put your hackle pliers on it. Twist the hackle 5 full turns, being careful not to break the hackle in the process, since Starling rachis (stem) is very thin and fragile before itís wound onto the hook. The twisted hackle causes the barbs to splay apart from each other and gives you a structure that looks like an inverted Christmas tree. This is the key step in the pattern; the splayed barbs give the fly its motion in the water. If they stick together on you during the twisting process, then separate them with the tip of a needle.

7. Palmer wind the hackle up towards the eye; pulling the barbs back towards the bend as you wind. Three wraps should do it. Tie off the hackle stem just behind the eye and clip off the waste end.

8. Finish off the head with non-waxed tying thread (you have to be careful how much thread you wax) and coat with head cement; I use SHHAN. Hereís the finished fly:

9. You can also twist the hackle an additional half turn on your last wind. If you do, youíll send the last wind of barbs forward towards the front, which some people like better:

And thatís it; Stewartís Black Spider.

This pattern can also be tied up as Stewartís Red Spider and as Stewartís Dun Spider, but nowadays those two variations are not often seen.

Have fun fishing it!

Pocono
Old 07-30-2011, 10:47 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Stewart's Black Spider

Great fly. Love the spider/northcountry/soft hackle flies...so much fun to fish!
Gary
Old 07-30-2011, 11:04 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Nice!
I got a kick from "cobblers wax" in the recipe. That must have been the thing in 1857.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:27 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Nice!
I got a kick from "cobblers wax" in the recipe. That must have been the thing in 1857.
Gary, I like the spider/north country patterns, too. They're fun to fish.

Jimmie, I think that's right.

There's another winged wet fly from that same (roughly) time period, called the Greenwell's Glory. The body on that fly is Pearsall's primrose (light yellow) gossamer silk, coated with black Cobbler's wax. So, the theme seems to be there.

Perhaps interestingly, Greenwell's hen was a furnace hackle strain; apparently very rare in those days. Because of that, Greenwell was about the only one who could tie up the pattern; or at least that's how one story goes.

I think that the wax gives the thread a more "natural" look; in the case of the GG pattern, a yellow/gray-green color; in the case of SBS, more of a dark gray/brown color.

Anyway, it works on the stream!

Pocono
Old 07-30-2011, 04:17 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Pocono, looks like a real good fish getter to me.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:55 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Pocono,

You have forced me to order a starling skin.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey there Allan,

Just found this, and it looks for a good case of simple & effective eh. As always a great SBS and photos, thank you for doing all of this for us,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-30-2011, 08:39 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Allen

Another well done and perfectly described tying lesson. Interestingly I have been tying a wet fly quite similar to this and your post gives me some ideas where I may improve upon mine.

Thank You

Dave
Old 07-31-2011, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Allan another great tying lesson and a very nice fly....you're a master
Old 07-31-2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Pocono,

You have forced me to order a starling skin.
Well, MB, at least it won't break the bank on you. Not many tyers use Starling nowadays, so they're plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

Besides the iridescent green shoulder hackles, there are a lot of other hackles on the skin that can be used for collars and for wings. One skin will keep you going for a good long time.

Another good skin to have is a male ringneck pheasant..........................

Thanks, J-P, but I know I'll always be a student. By the way, I've got a new spin on the Batistou Special; I'll try to get a few tied up when I get back from the Poconos (going back for a week; starting tomorrow - yes, fishing freestone streams is on my agenda!)

Pocono