The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 09:40 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Voodoo Leech Step by Step

Couldn't find the SBS link so i'll post in here with photos.

First is materials i used in the pattern. Feel free to adjust as to your preference

Thread - Black 6/0; could probably use 3/0 to allow more tension when tying down rabbit strips and the linker braid

Trail hook - Gamatasku B10S size 2
Tail - Pink marabou
Body - Black cross cut rabbit strips
Eyes - Lead dumbell size medium
Linker - Spider wire EZ braid or powerpro braid
Spacers - glass beads size EE (6/0)
Lead hook - Gamatsku B10S size 1 - you can also use waddingtons shanks or cotter pins for this to save burning a hook when you cut off the front bend. The purpose of the glass beads is to prevent the braid rubbing on the cut shank of the lead hook, thus preventing wearing out of the braid. If you use waddingtons or cotter pins then there's no need for the glass beads

Materials - these can be adjusted to personal preference, and i've shown the colors of rabbit strips, marabou and Senyos Laser Dub that im using to tie these flies. Tail color matches head color, though i'm sure this could be different
Click the image to open in full size.
The beads and spider braid are from Walmart. Beads were about $1.75

Start with your size 2 hook in the vise and lay down a base layer of thread to the tie in point at the back of the hook, about mid way between the point and the barb

Tie in a tail of marabou, not overly thick. Measure it against the length of hair on the rabbit strip and tie it in that it will be just slightly longer than the rabbit strip hair at the back of the hook. Tie down the marabou to form a rough underbody until about 1/4 inch from the eye of the hook

Tie in the rabbit strip at the rear tie in point and wind forward to the front of the hook.

While winding, make sure to keep the wraps tight and slightly overlapping, and also pull the hair back to prevent i being trapped under the wraps in the wrong direction. All rabbit hair should point to the rear of the hook. Form a small head with tying tread, whip finish and cement.

Next take a length of spider braid or power pro and fold in half. Thread the loop though the eye of the trail hook and feed the tag ends through the loop to secure the hook.

Place your size one hook in the vise, secure thread and wind to rear tie in point.
Place two glass beads over the tag ENDS of the spider braid and push to the eye of the hook.

Lay the tag ends of the spider braid over the shank of the hook in the vise and thread the tag ends through the eye and back down the shank.
secure the spider braid with tread up and down the shank a couple times and tie off with whip finish.
add some super glue to the thread and spider braid on the shank, and allow to dry.
The beads should just touch the bend of the hook but not cause the spider braid to be above the plane of the hook.

Tie in the dumbell lead eyes with figure 8 wraps and some wraps under the eyes but above the shank of the hook. this helps prevent them sliding forward or backward on the hook shank

Tie in the tail and body as described above.

Tie off the rabbit strip behind the eyes as close to them as possible and secure well with tight wraps.

Wax the thread and dub some Senyos laser dub and wrap behind and over the eyes.

Take a resonably large clump of senyos laser dub and pull apart between your fingers until all strands are in the same general direction. Tie down in the middle with several tight wraps in front of the eyes. Fold back the dubbing from over the eye of the hook, secure with a few more wraps in front of the dubbing, build a head, whip finish and cement

And that is your Voodoo Leech.
you can cut off the bend of the front hook under the glass beads.
in the photos i haven't done that step, but definitely will be making this a single hook fly.

Hope this helps.

SF

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 08-13-2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: No Edit
Old 08-03-2011, 01:26 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Voodoo Leech Step by Step

That is just ridiculously awesome/simple. I need some laser dub and rabbit now.. not to mention i could use some more marabou.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:41 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

post a pic or two of the flies you tie.

The reason i chose those colors for rabbit was because those were the colors i most frequently saw on these flies for sale, but i bet some yellow and black would be killer too!

Addicted To Vise
Old 08-03-2011, 07:32 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm at work right now but earlier I went and picked up a few things because I might be able to try them later this week. I am using a six and eight hook and tying them smaller.I bought purple cross cut rabbit and flourescent yellow laser dub. The first I tied actually Is a bit larger and used Yellow marabou and looked good. The ones I am working on now are switched to olive marabou. I'll deinitely be getting more stuff to tie these. I think an all yellow with barred rabbit would be killer.

A couple of things I might try though, have you thought about palmering the front hooks marabou instead of tying it Down? I'll also probably leave the hooks on my smaller ones on the front, but on yours why not cut the back hook instead of the front. Big fish that would eat these typically get the front hook anyway, not the back. I think this would also allow the back hook to move a little more freely without the hook bend acting as a keel. Also leaving the front hook instead wouldhelp the fly track truer and prevent it from spinning. Up to you, either way this is one of the better step by steps I have seen.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:00 PM

The rabbit is palmered. I tied it in at the back by the tip, palmered it and the tied it off. Should have stated that a bit more clearly. I'll fix it tomorrow when I'm not typing on an ipod.
I like the yellow barred rabbit idea a lot, I'll have to check for some barred crosscut strips online.
Will try out the both the back hook cut off and the front, see which works best

some great ideas u came up with there. If you try theyellow barred version let me see it!

Addicted To Vise
Old 08-03-2011, 11:41 PM

No, I meant palmer the marabou, to get it wrapped around the shank not just laying over the top of the eye of the second hook, But i dunked one, and it all blends together i don't think that it would make a difference, so scratch that.

My Few:
Old 08-04-2011, 03:52 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

What a nice patternI already love it
Old 08-04-2011, 08:51 AM

My bad, but true about the marabou, wont make much difference whether its palmered or just tied down.

---------- Post added at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

seems like smaller is the way to go too.. i used the smallest large hooks i had which were 1 and 2, but i'm thinking 2 and 4 or 4 and 6 will be good too!
Lower profile of the hook under the rabbit.

Addicted To Vise
Old 08-12-2011, 11:08 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Great SBS and nice pattern! thanks for putting this together and sharing.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:50 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Nice looking pattern and great SBS!

That should have a lot of action in the water. Hard to beat the combination of articulated and marabou.

I would be stripping that fly pretty quickly on the retrieve.

Pocono