The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 06:23 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Killer Style flies using Black Franklin

Yes, Chris and I talked about the Killer flies back in January. I am glad you liked the flies. I probably won't fish the double eye Francolin Mrs. Simpson though. The Black Francolin skins aren't cheap, and they are pretty small. If you lose one fly, you've lost six feathers in on go round...lol. I don't mind fishing Kelly's Killer because then you only lose two of those feathers. The Killer flies take in a variety of fish, that is one reason I am particularly interested in them, plus, they are so cool to look at. The other feathers on the Francolin are more in quantity, and also not a problem with fishing them. The double eyes are special. Anyway, I am happy you liked some of the flies.

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Superb flies! Kelkay, I've been around several forums over the past few years that you've posted your work on, and I have to say that I've always admired & enjoyed seeing the flies that you've tied! Always Superb Tying!
Thank you, I am honored you like my flies. I do tie a wide variety of them... I just cannot seem to help myself. Thanks for letting me know your thoughts. Oh, I have been tying since Jan of 2008, not really a long time.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:47 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Yes, I'm aware of when you started! You've come a long way in a short time, and certainly have a talent for such a wide variety! Many tiers tie some types of flies well, others not so much, but everything you tie IMO is always exceptional!

Historically some of the world's best fly tiers have been women, and you're fitting right in!
Old 08-20-2011, 06:54 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Yes, I'm aware of when you started! You've come a long way in a short time, and certainly have a talent for such a wide variety! Many tiers tie some types of flies well, others not so much, but everything you tie IMO is always exceptional!

Historically some of the world's best fly tiers have been women, and you're fitting right in!
Big Jim, your comments have blown me away. You are too kind. Thank you so much.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:34 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
Anyway, I am happy you liked some of the flies.
I like them all, Kelly; the K Killer and the double eyed Mrs. Simpson just caught my eye.

I understand what you say about using and, potentially loosing, expensive feathers on flies.

Pocono
Old 08-20-2011, 09:04 PM

Oh, okay. Thank you. Yes, those feathers are a bit pricey...but I got a very good deal on this skin. Still, I don't want to waste them.