The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 12:25 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ear plug poppers.

I came up with an idea for cheap and easy poppers for Bass. They work for other stuff also, as the one pictured in the water was clipped off by a fairly nice Pike. First I take a foam ear plug. Next take a large sewing needle and without crushing or deforming the earplug to much, push it through the ear plug where you want the tube to go. Did I mention this is a tube fly? Next, take a plastic tubed cotton swab and cut the cotton ends off. Next, take a lighter and melt the end so it rolls a bit, not getting to crazy with that. Push the tube through the ear plug using the needle as a guide, cut and not melted end first from the flat face of the plug. Once the tube is all the way through, remove the needle. Before you seat the tube all the way, add a drop of super glue to the outside of the tube and then seat it. Cut the other end of the tube off with about 3/8" left. Heat the end with a lighter and get it to do the same roll. Place a small piece of clear rubber tube over the end of the cotton swab tube. At this point you can add legs and hackle, flash and whatever you feel needs to be on your popper. I tie mine in my regular vice with a short stiff piece of metal wire bent like a L on the end. If you put it in the vice and pull back on it seating the clear rubber tube hard against the jaws it stays in place really well. You can spray paint the ear plug how you want it, or just use Sharpie markers. These pop really well, they are soft and fish hold on to them really well. In fact I had a nice Smallmouth hit one and instead of setting the hook just tried not to let him feel he was dragging a line around. That fish swam a good distance before spitting it. If you don't get one it's only because they missed the fly completely. They do miss poppers sort of often, Pike even more so.
Click the image to open in full size.
One in the water prior to being bitten off and floating away. If you fish from a boat they are all recoverable. They are in waders to if you are willing to swim for one. I wasn't.
Here is a Smallmouth that hit one. Notice how the fly has detached from the hook. I think it helps keep them from getting leverage on the hook and get off.
bocast likes this.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:40 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ear plug poppers.

Darn good idea!
Old 09-15-2011, 04:30 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Nice fish but i cant hear a thing!!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:38 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I think I may be borrowing this technique, I have plenty of these hanging around!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-15-2011, 01:38 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

innovative as ever!!
nice job dan.

casey

ARFE
Old 09-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Outstanding DanHow did this idea come to your mind?Thought you could catch fish on bare hooks
Old 09-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
How did this idea come to your mind?
I started getting short on poppers, they were working really well, Fish blasting a popper is really fun, I don't have a fly shop within 200 miles, and it looked they may work?
Sometimes even I'm not sure how my mind works.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:58 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Ingenious! Thanks for sharing the idea Dan.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:57 AM

ghost_reaper is on a distinguished road

Nice job Dan. I have been thinking about doing this for a while now. I work construction and let's just say I have a few ear plugs..

How well do they resist saturation? Just curious. But heck you can buy 100 ear plugs for 8 dollars or buy "popper" foam for about 8 poppers for $10. I know which way I'll be going.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dan: Very cool idea for making poppers! I was fishing a small pond with my grandson the other day, fishing for smallmouth bass. I didn't have any poppers, now I have a good idea on how to make some! Thanks!

Larry