The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 11:22 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gray Ghost 9-18-11

Very nice tie. I like the Carrie Stevens flies. Awsome job.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:43 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

If there are enough people interested, maybe we could do a baitfish Streamer tie-along later this Fall.

I've been doing some tying with Selene Dumaine this Summer. Selene lives about 10 miles from where we are in Maine and we've tied up half a dozen or so of the Carrie Stevens patterns together. Here's a link to some of Selene's work.

Making it reel | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

We could do, say, 6 streamers; maybe 3 Carrie Stevens patterns and 3 Eastern streamers (the main difference is that Carrie glued her wing components together before tying them in; one at a time on the side of the hook, whereas the Eastern streamer wings are tied in all at the same time on the top of the hook).

Let me know if anyone would be interested; we could all learn these patterns together.

Pocono
Old 09-22-2011, 09:38 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Pocono, you got to train under her? Wow. I have been winging it, and asking for critiques. These flies in a 10x take me about 4.5-5 hours to tie, and this is not counting the time I work on the head, after it is tied. Two hours between head cements. That would be a whole lot of time for me to do a swap. I saw a guy tie one in less than fifteen minutes. I don't know how he managed that, it was on a video.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:40 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
Pocono, you got to train under her? Wow. I have been winging it, and asking for critiques. These flies in a 10x take me about 4.5-5 hours to tie, and this is not counting the time I work on the head, after it is tied. Two hours between head cements. That would be a whole lot of time for me to do a swap. I saw a guy tie one in less than fifteen minutes. I don't know how he managed that, it was on a video.
Kelly,

Yes, we've been tying for the past month and will probably continue for the next few weeks; until we both get too busy again.

Total time for a Carrie Stevens pattern; tied the way that Carrie tied them (but with a vise), is running on the order of about 30 minutes now and I could see that getting shorter as you tie more of these patterns. There's a lot that's common from one pattern to the next. And there are a lot of short-cuts, tricks that help speed up the tying process.

About the only place that I can source 10x hooks is throught Gaelic Supreme; the Mike Martinnek Carrie Stevens streamer hooks. Selene routinely ties her flies on Mustad R79-94720 hooks; #6; much easier to source and a lot cheaper. I think they look great on that size hook.

What I'm suggesting isn't a swap; it's a tie-along; like what we did for the Salmon flies in 2010 and what we did for the Wet/Streamer flies in the Spring of this year; not a swap.

I'll post some pics of the flies that we've tied up. They're student quality one-offs, so very far from presentation flies.

But, back to the original topic - your Gray Ghost tye looks great!

Pocono
Old 09-22-2011, 03:17 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

OHHHH...well that sounds good to me Pocono. That way I won't be in a rush. I can do that for sure. Yes, those 10x hooks are not easy to find at all. I wonder if they quit making them? If you have tied with her this long, you must have some mind blowing flies. I'm just puttering along on my own, and asking questions which I'm prone to do, and looking at photos. The only thing is, right now with this feather craze, it is so hard to find some DECENT long feathers for a 10x hook....I hope we can source our materials, and they don't cost us an arm and leg. Gotta go, it is thundering like crazy right now.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:31 PM

Yup, the feathers that she prefers for the wings are the Whiting American saddles; just what you can't get very many of right now.

Chinese strung saddle will work, but you generally end up throwing a lot of feathers away.

The #6 hook also makes it easier to get good wings out of smaller feathers; which helps a lot.

Pocono
Old 09-22-2011, 04:12 PM

yes, a number 6 hook is easier to find a feather for, that's for sure