The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 10:25 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Mallard and Peacock Nymph

Tied on a #12 2xl nymph hook
Tan Thread
Mallard tail (yellow died) - around 8 or 10 fibers - length of the hook and fold the butt end over for the nymph back
Peacock Herl body
Grizzly hackle (red used here)
ultrawire (small) ribbing

Start your thread and tie in the tail, then fold the butt section back for later use - do not trim it off.

Click the image to open in full size.

tie in your wire and hackle

tie in your herl (3 strands used here) leaving thread about 2 eye lengths from eye.

Wrap the herl forward and tie down, trim excess

Wrap the hackle forward and counter wrap the wire rib

Pull the mallard flank over the top and tie it down

Trim any hackle that angles up, leaving the hackle that goes to the sides or down

Whip finish and add a little head cement and your done.

if you do everything the same, but swap out the mallard flank for olive or burnt orange maribou, you basically have a Denny's stillwater nymph (Denny uses simi-seal for the body, and I use peacock herl but they are basically the same)

This (and Denny's) nymph is extremely effective for stillwaters when baetis or damsel nymphs are in the water. I fish this either on a sinking line or on a floating line generally down about 2 to 4 feet. When fishing, impart a little action to it, i.e. from your tube or boat, or shore, cast it out, let it sink a little and then bring it back in a couple 2 inch strips, followed by a couple second pause. I like to also fish it right at the edges of weed beds where they drop off to deeper water. I have caught fish (16 to 20 inchers) at Davis Lake on this fly when nobody else was catching anything. It also works well at frenchman's.

Have fun.

Dave

Last edited by peregrines; 11-21-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:42 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mallard and Peacock Nymph

Bravo. Excellent tutorial, plus great looking fly. I like the idea of "baetis" for stillwater.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:55 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tutorial Dave, I always enjoy seeing the handiwork of our members.

Dave
Old 11-13-2011, 01:51 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Nice step by step instructions. Great looking fly.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

If you use the marabou instead of the mallard flank for the nymph back, does it naturally create that look as shown in the photo? Do you have to do anything special to get that look for the nymph back, i.e., will the marabou lay down as shown in the photo. Thanks

Last edited by auntrout; 11-13-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:12 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Excellent SBS and really nice nymph. Thanks for sharing this!
Old 11-13-2011, 09:22 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone, used this one today, along with some weighted "czech" scud looking patterns I have been playing with, landed 7 in 2 hours, one was over 20 inches, broke off two, had to rerig twice. Had a dozen other quick hits that I didn't get hooked solid, but, hey, for float tubing two hours in 40 degree weather it was a good day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntrout View Post
will the marabou lay down as shown in the photo
Yep, just pull it over the top and it lays down just like shown.

d
Old 11-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Real nice job Dave!
Old 11-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dave: Thanks for the tutorial, that looks like a killler pattern, I'll have to tie some up.

Larry

Old 11-15-2011, 09:51 PM

Thanks Mark and Larry, they do work well, I have giving many of these away at the lake, and I evengave some to my competitive fishing buddy, and taught him how to tie em.

Of course I didnt give him any at the lake until after an hour of reeling em in, and he did have to ask nicely and say "please master of the yellow mallard fly can I please have one of your killer creations" just kidding, I didn't make him beg.....or did I, I can't remember now I am getting so old

Have fun on the water!

d
Old 11-16-2011, 05:52 PM

jimbojo will become famous soon enoughjimbojo will become famous soon enough

That is a nice looking fly, and a great story. I can hardly wait till I am tying up some killers and having my brother beggin for one. hahahhaha

Jimbo