The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 12:15 PM

smalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura about
Default A sorta Davey McPhail Stone fly

I watched Davey McPhail tie a stonefly yesterday, and figured to give it a go.
Criticizem welcomed.
Tied on a Allen #6 octopus hook.
Click the image to open in full size.
Not an exact copy, but I think it'll fish. Gotta get some Olive biots...
Old 12-01-2011, 01:18 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: A sorta Davey McPhail Stone fly

I am certainly no expert, but I'd say that color of biot might do just as much in attracting fish. It looks very buggy to me, kind of golden stone-ish.. That's cool that you got to see Davey McPhail tie!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-01-2011, 01:21 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

I havent seen that original but this one of yours have all that stonefly nymph should have
Old 12-01-2011, 01:51 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

A really nice job on that stonefly!
Gary
Old 12-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with AJ,Mladen and Gary....This IS a really nice stonefly
Old 12-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that is indeed a nice tie, congrats! I'll bet that will be a killer pattern on the water.

Larry

Old 12-01-2011, 02:29 PM

smalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys! I fished a stonefly all winter last year and really put a licking on them with it, so I'm hoping this one is even more successful. YouTube is a wonderful thing, I think any fly you have an interest in tying can be found there in more than one version. Davy is probably my favorite YouTube tier.

Stan
Old 12-10-2011, 04:03 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Davey is mesmerizing isn't he? Not sure if it's his tying skills, the accent (to those of us on this side of the pond) or the beautiful end result. Ran into a guy on a stream once and we started talking about tying. He commented that Davey cost him lots of money in tying materials...because he had to get the stuff to replicate his ties! One of the best for sure.

That's an incredible looking stone you've got there smallies, very well done! Love to have some of those in my box!
Old 12-10-2011, 07:57 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Nice Stonefly Nymph!

Pocono
Old 12-10-2011, 10:40 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Touching turns, take away the waste and take your time don't forget to wax your thread. I love watching him tie its almost threapudic!