The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 10:04 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: JP's flies step by step...for beginners.

So here's an attempt with some more appropriately-sized hackle, with a z-Lon tail and wing:
Click the image to open in full size.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Looks good gator!

JP a question for you-- it looks like you tied these off behind the hackle and wing? Or do you wiggle the thread through the hackle and tie off at the head?

Either way is fine with me, they look great and are a great match for our many species of "blue wing olives", one or more of which is hatching at some point during the whole season in various sizes from 14-22, and the same steps with different colors can be used to match a lot of mayflies.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

AJ try to use hackle fibers for the tail...
Mark I tie off behind the hackle and wing...a"key knot" to block the thread then a drop of superglue...think you've already asked this question
Old 12-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

JP: Great work on the SBS! Keep them coming!

Larry

Old 12-13-2011, 07:39 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Got my polyprop yarn this afternoon, so will have a go at the JPB Olive pattern, and maybe some variants, tomorrow.

I've fished this pattern with J-P; it floats well and definitely brings in the fish; including fish that are much "pickier" than Trout; like Dace!

Pocono
Old 12-14-2011, 03:00 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a few of the JPB Olives that I tied up today; all on a Daiichi 1190 barbless hook; #14.

The 1190 is new hook for Daiichi and I really like it! I think I'll be tying all of my dries on this hook going forward.

I ended up liking an olive body with medium pardo CDL tail, a cream polyprop wing and a cree hackle. Unfortunately, the abdomen on the fly in the pic has a "tumor" midway down, but I don't think that it will turn off the fish; at least I hope it won't..............

I sort of walked all over the ground with this pattern, from hackle madness (upper left) to tyer sadness (lower right).

This is a great pattern!

I've fished it with J-P and it definitely gets the fish to rise and take. The fly is also practically unsinkable. I've found myself reaching for the Gink or the powdered desiccant several times with standard patterns like a para Adams. When I look upstream or downstream at J-P, he's still casting and his dry is still floating!

Don't miss out on tying up this pattern. It's a great one to have in your fly box.

Pocono
Old 12-14-2011, 08:28 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

I start my first tying class in January. After looking at these, and some of the other postings, I'm getting pretty excited about it. My new vice arrived the other day, and my wife thought that I was crazy, because I put a shop-bought fly into the vice, just to "see what it looked like"!

BTW - I went for the Anvil Atlas, after reading a bunch of postings, reviews, etc. Thank you to all those who made suggestions and provided me with info!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 12-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice flies Allan these hooks look very much like the fulling mill
don't worry for the tumor....I know a good surgeon
Here's a variation with two different hackles (brown and grey dun) and light brown wings...may remember it...it's a pic of yours
Rick ...looking forward to seeing your first flies.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:45 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Allan, if yours has a tumor, mine is downright bloated. I need to pick up that style of hook you're using, I like the extended shank in particular. I'll need to try this tie again when I get the chance, and work on limiting my threadwraps, but also using the hackle tail, it looks more buggy than the z-lon.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-15-2011, 02:40 PM

AJ, another thing that the hackle fiber tail will help with is keeping the fly sitting high and dry on the water.

I don't think that a Z-lon tail has enough tensile strength to act as the back support for the fly in the water. If you land your dry properly, it's resting on the surface with just the tail and the bottom of the hackle supporting it; hook facing down. That's why you need a tail that's stiff enough to support the back end of the fly.

I use a Matarelli whip finisher to tie off my flies. With J-P's method of tying off behind the hackle, I don't have one that's long enough to tie off directly behind the hackle; which is where I want to tie it off. I also don't have one of J-P's "pen tubes", so I can't keep the hackle pulled forward while I'm finishing off the body and tying off the thread; that's the real problem! And that's the reason for the abdominal "tumor".

J-P, send in that surgeon!

As I said, these dry fly patterns of J-P's work really well on the water, float high and stay dry!

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 12-15-2011 at 03:01 PM.