The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 03:02 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: JP's flies step by step...for beginners.

Actually, I've found Bic pens to be very useful all around when it comes to a number of things besides writing. First, you can take the backside of the tube holding the ink and cut off a portion for holding forward the hackle without compromising the rest of the tube's ability to hold ink. Second, I used the exterior body of a Bic pen, chopped down, to make a tippet lanyard. I just ran some 550 or similar cord through the hollow center and tied slip knots on either end, which I then run on to a carabiner. Clip the thing to your pack and voila, DIY tippet lanyard. Maybe I'll take a picture of mine next time I'm using it. Had the pen, carabiner, and line laying around, so saved myself ten bucks!

As far as the dries, I will be tying more of them soon, especially since I got a hold of some proper dry fly hackle in some very small sizes.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-15-2011, 06:32 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Bic pen -> Gotcha! Thanks

Before:

Click the image to open in full size.

After:

....I'm ready for you now, J-P!

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 12-15-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:10 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a couple more of J-P's JPB Olive pattern. The ink tube pen trick from Gator really helped with the back-of-the-hackle tie-off. Hold off on that surgeon, J-P, I think I've found a way to get the tumor out of the abdomen.

This one is Cahill yellow, with mediium pardo CDL tail and cree hackle:

This one is a "snowball" (all white) tie; a little heavy on the wing, but it seems to balance out OK on the hackle and tail:

Pocono
Old 12-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Allan the Cahill is just beautiful
the little plastic tube from a ballpen was in the list of materials...sorry I didn't mention BIC
Old 12-17-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
...sorry I didn't mention BIC
The Baron, if he were still alive, would not have been pleased!

Glad you like the cahill/cree tie. I plan to tie up a bunch of them in #14 and #16 for this Spring. I think that the #16 may make a good early season searching pattern on bright days.

Pocono
Old 12-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
The Baron, if he were still alive, would not have been pleased!
Unforgivable for someone who lives Le Baron street
Might be a good idea for the early season.
Will post the Chub Special SBS tomorrow
Old 12-17-2011, 02:28 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I tried a few of these and to be honest I found the direction of the tie awkward with the hackle pointing forward and tying off behind it.

I tried it in what I consider a bit more conventional manner with better success.

I'll post pics of both tonight.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:50 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Here are a couple more of J-P's JPB Olive pattern. The ink tube pen trick from Gator really helped with the back-of-the-hackle tie-off. Hold off on that surgeon, J-P, I think I've found a way to get the tumor out of the abdomen.

This one is Cahill yellow, with mediium pardo CDL tail and cree hackle:

This one is a "snowball" (all white) tie; a little heavy on the wing, but it seems to balance out OK on the hackle and tail:

Pocono
JP, I really like this pattern! Love the thread body, I've always thought dubbing small mayflies is counterproductive, and you've come with a process that makes the whole thing so simply and clean...the tie off behind the hackle.

Allan, those are really nice looking flies, what are you using for thread? The bodies are great. On the tall wing, this is something that I will write a longer post about later, but I've been re-reading Gary LaFontaine's seminal work, The Dry Fly. He went further than any modern angler to study trout, flies, and how trout interact and react with flies. He did a lot of underwater observation and one of the many things he learned was that the wing is major trigger for trout. Further, he liked an over-sized wing when trout are refusing an offering during a hatch. He explains how the standard practice of going down a size when trout are refusing what should be a matching fly doesn't always work, he says you should go down a hook size but up a wing size.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this excellent thread. I am going to tie a pile of these...Thanks!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post

Allan, .......what are you using for thread?
John, it's Danville FlyMaster 6/0. I use a thread that's easy to flatten; that way I can get flatter, smoother wraps with it and that shows up in the body. If I'm tying really small stuff, then I use Gordon Griffith's Sheer 14/0, which also flattens well.

Uni threads; either the 6/0 or 8/0, don't flatten at all of me; that's why I switched to Danville. I think it's the binder that Uni uses; too stiff to allow the thread fibers to unwind and flatten.

Pocono
Old 12-18-2011, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

Another easy to tie pattern...the Chub Special.Although it was created for big chub, it enabled me to catch browns,rainbows,brookies, graylings,dace and even carps.
Materials.Hook size 14,black thread 6/0,copper bead 2.8mm,copper wire, black hareflash,olive goose biots.
first fix the two goose biots for the tail and the copper wire.
Make the body with the hare flash stop a little before the bead.
Turn the copper wire.
Tie the two goose biots.
Add a little dubbing before the final knot.
Like the jpb olive you can make all variations you want...here are two :
Orange
Chartreuse