The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 01:58 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: JP's flies step by step...for beginners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
.....big chub are waiting for you...they love fat hairy nymphs so add a little dubbing,you have to catch a huge one next time you come
Here's one that's a little "hairier and fatter" J-P.

I doubled up on the beads, but used metal for both; just in case I happen to throw it up against a rock - again!

Tied on a 2xl hook:

Click the image to open in full size.

Pocono
Old 12-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful AllanThink we'll name this one Xmas chub special
I will post the Ugly Green SBS tomorrow
Old 12-30-2011, 03:54 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

............maybe it'll catch Rudolph the Red Nosed chub!...............

Pocono
Old 01-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

About 15 years ago we went to a reservoir where the trout had been caught and released so many times that they were nearly impossible to catch...I thought I had to find something new and unusual...that's how the Ugly Green was born.It's very easy to tie and the great advantage of this fly is that it can be used on the surface as an emerger or under the water as a wet nymph or buzzer with an intermediate or sinking line.That IS a great fly
Materials:Crystal Hair pearl,olive antron dubbing,black or dark brown hare flash,black 6/0 thread.
First fix two pieces of crystal hair a long one and a short one you will fold to make a double tail.
Then make the body with the olive antron.
Turn the long crystal hair piece.
Make two wings or legs??on each side.
Make the thorax with the hare flash and finish the head...that's all.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:36 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Interesting fly JP
Old 01-01-2012, 03:12 PM

Happy New Year, J-P!

Nice SBS on the Ugly Green!

Here's a New Year's day shot at this pattern; one as you have it in olive green, with Anton dubbing:

And one in a lighter color; dubbed with Seal-Ex and using a gold crystal flash:

I also did a lighter one dubbed with Hi-Vis cream 36 and Seal-Ex thorax, but I didn't like the way that it came out. Hi-Vis is no fun to dub!

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 01-01-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Happy new year again Allan
no bad shots on new year's day...considering the "heavy" meals and...drinks
I tied a beige antron variant but used pardo fibers for the tail and legs/wings...good but less productive than the green one.
Other details about this pattern here:jpb Ugly Green

Last edited by jpbfly; 01-03-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

JP: Thanks for posting the ugly green SBS. I had forgotten that I wanted that fly on my list to tie this winter, I already know how effective it is, but had lost the one you sent me a couple years back.

Larry

Old 01-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
JP: Thanks for posting the ugly green SBS. I had forgotten that I wanted that fly on my list to tie this winter, I already know how effective it is, but had lost the one you sent me a couple years back.

Larry
Should have sent you a dozen Larry

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

The Batistou Special.
Materials:black foam,black thread 6/0,black rooster hackle,white ,orange or fluo green polypropylene.hook size 14.
This fly was created by my friend Jean-Baptiste (Batsitou) to fish big chub but we also caught browns and rainbows with it.Allan (Pocono) tested it when he fished with me last year and really liked it.He tied some when he was back in the US and could check how effective it is on trout.
Cut a little strip of foam and fix it onthe hook.
Turn the thread ,stop around two third of the hook length...tie the foam again.
Put the white fibers then the hackle.
Turn the hackle and cut the"wing"
Make the head...cut the foam....that's all
Sometimes I tie it starting from the eye of the hook...
other infos here:The Batistou Special)
Pocono, mcnerney and oarfish like this.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:05 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

So I've made a shopping list of materials for the first few flies of the SBS, so that when I'm at the Sommerset, NJ show in a couple of weeks, I can purchase materials, and try to catch-up. With the possible exception of multiple colors of rooster hackles, it doen't look like anything that will break the bank!

Any hints on the materials for the next few flies?

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky