The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 09:48 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: JP's flies step by step...for beginners.

Made it to the Somerset, NJ Show this past weekend, and bought a few bags full of tying materials. I know that I have some "catching-up" to do on this SBS, but here's two of the five JPB Olive's that I tied tonight. Not completely pleased with my hackle work, but I'll keep working at it. Couldn't get the BIC pen idea to work, as the tube wouldn't fit over the eye, and I was using a #14 hook. I'll grab a different pen, and see if that makes a difference.

Here's a couple of photos:

Click the image to open in full size.

And a front view:

Feel free to make suggestions or other productive criticism, folks!!!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky

Last edited by fire instructor; 01-30-2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Spelling..... My nemisis.....
Old 01-31-2012, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry your flies will look nicer when you get better hacklesKeep on tyingFlat wings are used to imitate spents...
Old 02-12-2012, 02:42 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Well, in between and around all of my work travel, I've found some time to tie, getting my "homework" for my tying class completed, pluss catching-up on some of these SBS's.

On the SBS's, I've tied at least five of each, just learning the basic moves, but I'm only showing you two of each, so that constructive criticism can be shared with me.

So here's a pair of my Chub Specials:

A pair of my Ugly Green's:

And three of my Batistou Specials. I tied six of these (so far), two each white, flourescent green, and flourescent pink wings:

So let me know what you think (keeping in mind that I only started tying in early January), and please, any advice for improvement (other than "buy commercially tied flies") is appreciated.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-12-2012, 05:09 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

They look great, especially since you just started, they'll definitely catch fish. I believe the biots are tied a little long on the chub specials and you may have to trim down the tails of the ugly greens as well, but other than that they're awesome!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-12-2012, 05:33 PM

Thank you, AJ. I didn't learn how to "X" and pre-glue the tail biots until AFTER I did these, and because of that, I had a difficult time managing the biots separately loose, so they tended to vary in length.

Wasn't sure on the measurement on the Ugly Green tail, but figured that I'd err towards leaving it long, because I can always cut additional later!

And I can't WAIT to tie them on and see if anything with a in finds them appealing! At this point, a 4 oz bluegill caught on my own fly, would be a trophy, for me!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with AJ Rick...looks like you're improving quicklypractice makes perfect
Old 04-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Let's start a new series..JP's hcdc
Hook size 14
Tread black 6/0
Tail dun rooster fibers
Body dark grey hare+gold thread
Thorax black or dark brown hare
Wings grey cdc.
1 fix the fibers for the tail and the gold thread.
2tie the body.
3 rib with the gold thread.
4 make the thorax
5fix the cdc feathers.
Finish the head...
this pattern can be tied in different colors....you can also make a thinner body
....the pics are a little dark...sorry
Old 04-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Another great pattern JP,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

mmmmmm..... buggy!
Looks good fire instructor! I use my nippers to trim flies on the stream, sometimes a little haircut does the trick. Some cone head wooly buggers on a #4 hook are a good way to find some big fish. It is similar to tying the nymphs you did, but with more materials (ie tail, wire, body, etc.)
Old 11-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

The Flying Moth.This pattern was created by my friend Jan...I know it's ugly and Larry would say weird many may laughbut I've fished it for a complete season and I caught many bows and big chub with it.It's very easy to tie,easy to locate when you fish on sight.You can cast it upstream and"wave"it slowly,it's amazingly efficient for fish hidden under "bathing" branches and bushes.It can also be used casting downstream like a streamer...
Materials:
Hook:Hayabusa nymph bl 12/14
Bead:white 2.8/3.3 mm
Body:any white dubbing will do.I use para post it's faster
Silver wire.
Wing:material used to protect things in packages or a kind of "carpet"used under swimming pool liners
1 fix the parapost and the wire.
2rib with the silver wire.
3 cut the wing the shape of a tennis racket and fix it....
the carpet one
That's all folks....I love the way it glides...looks like fish love it too

Last edited by jpbfly; 11-18-2012 at 04:34 AM.