The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 08:58 PM

Gar will become famous soon enough
Default Foam head pike flies

These have been my favorite flies this year in orange, chartreuse and blue. These are about 10 inches long.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foam head pike flies

Gar! Long time no see! Good to see you posting again. Nice flies.
back.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:21 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Craaft foam cut and glued together? I like this. A Lot.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:11 AM

Dan-
At some point we will fish together.

The heads are 1mm or 2mmm craft foam cut with a guitar pic maker. It is like a stapler, but cuts the heads all identical. I have also been using LOCO foam which has a psychedelic silver pattern to it. The eyes are the standard plastic but 1/2 inch.
These flies will swing side to side like a zara spook because of the wide head. They will stay in the top 4 inches of the water column.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar View Post
Dan-

The heads are 1mm or 2mmm craft foam cut with a guitar pic maker.
Nice!

I've been using one of these for some similar patterns-

It works a bit differently in that it cuts out sort of a heart shape, and you just have to fold it over and glue it on-

JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: River Road Creations Floating Minnow Head Cutter

Or, you can get tricky, trim a little add a sequin, and you've got a popper head-

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar View Post
Dan-
You're welcome up anytime. It'll be fun.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:32 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Nice! foam head pike flies Gar....I really like the color selection.
What did you use to coat the foam?

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 12-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back Gar, Great looking flies and a neat idea.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Gar: Good to see you posting again and I love your flies. I've never fished anything that big, must be a thrill when a big Pike hammers that fly.

Cliff: Pretty cool looking popper! Pretty interesting approach to using foam folded over like that.

Larry

Old 12-16-2011, 04:04 PM

Here is a link to the guitar pick cutter which i used to do the foam. These heads are about 1.25 inches long and 1 inch long.
ThinkGeek :: DIY Guitar Pick Punch

i like the wooden cutter better from bigcliff but could never find one that cut heads big enough. The daul sided cutter is much quicker to apply to the fly than two separate sides.