The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:31 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of
Default yellow sally/golden stone nymph SBS

I've been having some great luck with this one. Its got some tricks that you can use on other flys as well, specifically the biots and again my split case processes.

Size 14 yellow sally or yellow stone nymph

Danville's 70 Denier orange thread
UTC Ultra Wire BR Red

Start the thread and and wrap the wire down the top of the hook starting at the back of the thorax or 1/3 down the hook from the eye. Make 2 1/2 wraps of the wire back up to creating a "ball".

Click the image to open in full size.

back your thread down to just in front of the wire ball and tie in the biots with curve facing in using the thread. the wire ball spreads the biots. keep them alligned exactly up both sides by adjusting and then a couple thread wraps to secure.

Spread the biots and hold with a couple thread wraps and dub up with Spectrablend.

though the color is a bit off in the photo, the dub is more yellow than green. make a nice tapper up 2/3 of the hook toward the eye.

Pull the two biots up along the sides and secure with thread.

Starting the first wrap to cover your thread where you tied in the biot tails, wrap the wire up the body, pull back the biot ends and continue wrapping in front of the biots to hold them back. three wraps in front will give you a good lock on the wire and make the fly last longer.

carefully pull the biot ends up to the top, give a couple wraps to hold them and tie in your yellow foam strip (cut from wally world foam sheets, come in a pleathora of colors). keep your thread wraps meaningful. don't want too much thread build up, there is alot more that goes here.

Waspi Antron #2 kit has a great march brown color that I think sets this off and highlights the case and legs on the thorax.

I chose yellow mallard flank for the legs and prepare the feather like so.

one wrap over the feather to hold it, we'll adjust the length later

pull the yellow foam forward, streaching it to conform to a nice roundness and secure with a couple loose-ish wraps...you need it loose enough to now pull the mallard and adjust your leg length. the legs spread out as you shorten them and you can do more about that after the tie is complete. once the legs are just right, secure with three more wraps around the foam and feather.

Trim the foam and mallard feather CLOSE!

Pull one biot up and across to the other side behind the hook eye and hold with one wrap. then pull the other over, one wrap, adjust, another tighter wrap, tighten the biots and secure with two more wraps.

Trim the biots CLOSE! finish off the head starting just behind the eye and working back toward the thorax. apply SHHAN.

Hardyreels, Pocono, jpbfly and 2 others like this.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: yellow sally/golden stone nymph SBS

JJ: Very nice work on the yellow sally/golden stone nymph SBS!

Old 01-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'll pitch in with Larry JJ, that's a good looking finished product.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-19-2012, 07:06 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Nice tie and SBS, JJ!

Looks like that would be fun to fish.

Pocono
Old 01-19-2012, 09:57 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Thanks guys. The local fly shop guy says its just a universal corn fly...meaning its just a yellow attractor and in truth, seeing how there isn't anything like it hatching, but its still taken several good fish, especially browns, the last couple times out, I'd say its just an attractor. I tied the same with brown wire when the yellow sallys were hatching and it did well. I guess the sbs was more to show the wire and biot technique. The thing does last real well.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:24 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

NICE
Old 01-20-2012, 12:42 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Great looking Stone nymph, JJ. Looks like you tie in the mallard up near the eye and leave the back portion loose. I'm sure the foam back holds it down but do you have problems with that feather coming out after a couple fish?

I like that it simplifies using a feather for legs. I gave up tying in the tip, trimming, pulling it over and tying it down again just because it didn't always seem worth it. With your method, I might try it again. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2012, 03:44 AM

cicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to behold

-Nice tie and SBS,thanks.

Rasevic
Old 01-20-2012, 07:44 AM

Hey dean, thanks for asking. in the instructions, I have one wrap holding it and then the foam comes over but I pull the feather out the front and tighten the foam and feather down before trimming. the foam gets trimmed and the feather is a bit longer after trimming so the head finish must grab the ends even more. I don't have any issues with the legs falling out between the friction of the feather and all the head wraps. it lasts quite well.

on another point, sometimes I use hen hackle or partridge and those feathers are much shorter and a bit harder to work with. the real trick to making it work is to have the feather quill with the legs not be so long that it doesn't fit between the eye and the back of the foam. otherwise, the foam pushes the feather sideways when you pull the foam over. though it still works out when you pull the feather through, there is a chance that one side of the legs end up shorter than the other.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:17 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Picking up the materials for this tonight!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...