The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 08:20 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Laser Egg - Step By Step

Here a quick and easy egg I've been tying up for customers all winter. Yesterday i took some pictures to put together this step by step

You can vary the colors according to your needs. The original pattern called for antron yarn (it was called the Antron Egg), but i subbed for Senyo's Laser Yarn and changed the name to reflect that. You can use either and have a really effective pattern. You can also use Ice Dub for the nucleus of the egg to add some extra sparkle.

Materials
Hook 2488 size 12
Laser yarn - two somewhat contrasting colors, here Chartreuse and Pink
Thread - White Flymaster 6/0
Click the image to open in full size.

Start your thread on the hook about 1/4 shank length behind the eye and wind back to about half was on the shank

Next, take a reasonable size clump of laser dub and pull apart with your fingers so all the ends are even. Tie the Laser dub in with about 3/4 of the dubbing off the front of the hook. I use two loose wraps, then tighten them with an upward pull on the bobbin, this prevents the dubbing from spiraling around the hook shank. Once secure pull out the loose fibers from the end past the eye (Another method is to take 3 separate clumps and tie them in separately. I prefer the former.)

Trim the loose ends at the back of the hook and bind down the remnants (Keep the trimmings, these are useful if you decided to make some eggs with this color as the nucleus)

Take a small pinch of your other color of lazer dub and twist onto the thread. You can use wax if you prefer.

Wind on a neat nucleus of the egg and take loose, open spiral wraps to the bend of the hook as pictured.

Fold the laser dub back over the hook and tie in with two or three reasonably tight wraps. Try to make the disrtibution of the laser dub pretty even around the whole hook. The tighter you pull the dubbing back the smaller the egg will be. Loose for a large egg, tight for a small egg. You can experiment to see how tight or loose you want to make it.

With the tails in your left hand, put a finger on the eye of the hook, and push the tails forward to create the egg. The loose spiral wraps facilitate the movement of the thread forward.

Clip off the excess (keep it) and whip finish. Add a touch of head cement to the thread to secure the wraps. Thats it!

Here are some in some other color combinations

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laser Egg - Step By Step

Those are great. Very cool.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:11 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the step by step. Will have to give it a try.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:17 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Very nice, and seem fairly straight forward to tie. That said, forgive my ignorance (and try not to laugh too hard at me), but are eggs like this only a steelhead / salmon fly? Or are there other other fish that will take flies like this?

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-21-2012, 04:59 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
Very nice, and seem fairly straight forward to tie. That said, forgive my ignorance (and try not to laugh too hard at me), but are eggs like this only a steelhead / salmon fly? Or are there other other fish that will take flies like this?
I believe any fish around during a spawn, particularly in a river, will take eggs as they are drifting by....hard to pass up a free and easy meal!
However, I may be wrong on that point. Some of the bass/pike guys will be better employed answering that question.
I do know that other trout will eat eggs including browns and rainbows.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-21-2012, 08:35 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Those are great. Very cool.
Agree, those look great!

Pocono
Old 01-23-2012, 09:30 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Great looking egg pattern and nice SBS.