The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 12:29 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Looking for "Split Wing" pattern

The guys in the fly shop in Bend, Ore showed me a "split wing" fly that they said was very, very hot there. Here's what I know but can't find a pattern to match. The back is yellow foam with black biots pulled over to form what looks like a case cracking.
Does anybody know of a pattern?
This fly looks awesome in person.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Looking for "Split Wing" pattern

Jimmie,

When I see something like that I buy a few so I can figure the pattern out. Did you get hold of one?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-05-2010, 07:03 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Yeah, thanks Ard. Lesson learned. I got home and wished that I would have bought a few. I'm going to follow your lead in the future.In fact there were some other flies that I wish that I had bought; "Purple Haze"; "Purple Crystal Prince"; "Batman"; and a Stonefly made with hot yellow ultra wire / brown thinskin.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Jimmie,

Although most patterns sold in shops are widely known there are some out there like flies of my own that are locally effective and are custom tied for a shop or a few shops in an area. This is when you run into problems when you try to look them up at home.

The fly Purple Haze is a familiar soft hackle pattern you will be able to find it and the prince but others may be hard to find.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Jimmie, is this it?

Old 07-05-2010, 09:55 PM

That's the one Mark. Really appreciate it. Thanks.
Now to tie up a bunch. They are awesome looking in a #16.

Rather than coc-de-leon tail and legs, the flies that I saw were pheasant tail fibers (mallard dyed wood duck would be good too). Just thought that I'd add this in case anyone didn't have the coc-de-leon, like me.

Last edited by Jimmie; 07-06-2010 at 09:49 AM. Reason: tails and legs