The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By FlySlinger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 12:49 AM

FlySlinger has a spectacular aura aboutFlySlinger has a spectacular aura about
Default Teeny Tiny Flys of the spring Time

Hi Guys I have Undertaken an project to tie some Flies for me, in this small state I Will tie some so I will go fishing soon....All will be #20 or smaller The smallest will be called a Secret Weapon it is Red and dun which be a #24 .....In order here they go ..#20 Micro Deep Sparkle Puppa, #20 Devil Bug, #20 BWO Turkey Flat Parachute with a goose Biot....This is the first time I have tied Fly's this small and I am going to Use these fly's this small....I will use them very soon.... Oh by the way I am going Steelhead fishing on Tuesday not that i am going to Use these Particular Flies for the Steelhead....

Talk to you later

FlySlinger

Click the image to open in full size.

jpbfly and futuramille like this.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:40 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teeny Tiny Flys of the spring Time

Those look nice, FlySlinger! They'll catch you some early season trout for sure.

The first dries of the season in the Poconos; after the midges started to get outnumbered on the water, were the Little Black Stones and the Blue Quills. I used to tie them in #18-22, with a preference for #18............; just easier to tie up.

Pocono
Old 02-06-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Those look nice, FlySlinger! They'll catch you some early season trout for sure.

The first dries of the season in the Poconos; after the midges started to get outnumbered on the water, were the Little Black Stones and the Blue Quills. I used to tie them in #18-22, with a preference for #18............; just easier to tie up.

Pocono
Yea I no What you mean.....The #24 I tied the Secrete weapon was a lot harder because of it being a #24....

FlySlinger
Old 02-07-2012, 03:05 AM

trout333 is on a distinguished road

Nice work, especially if that is your first time tying teenies. It still amazes me that fish will spot and eat such small flies. I recently caught a 21" Brown Trout on a size #26 midge pattern of my own creation. I'm lucky I didn't lose the fish because he bent that hook pretty wide open.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:07 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Some great ties, FlySlinger! I was fishing a local creek the other day and a guy mentioned that he was using #26 flies, and he seemed to be doing well. Gonna have to tie some myself now!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great flies...I like your little parachute very much
Old 02-07-2012, 02:19 PM

trout333 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySlinger View Post

I will make a couple suggestions... why not? I'm a big fan of tiny thread collars. The bead head fly has a long thread collar. Depending on the beads used, you can sometimes hide wraps inside the bead when tying in your last bit of material and then whip finish right behind or just on top of the back of the bead. Makes it look real clean. Your bead head fly would still go into the "Good" pile if I was tying these up.

Also, the second fly, did you mean to tie such a big red thread head as a hot spot? Again, the fish will eat the heck out of this thing but I love a tight and tiny head. Unless of course that is more of a hot spot.

Again, excellent ties. I think the trickiest part is getting the proportions right when working in such small sizes and you did an excellent job of that. Can't wait to see more! Maybe tie a size #40 Zoo Cougar for us? Ha!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout333 View Post
I will make a couple suggestions... why not? I'm a big fan of tiny thread collars. The bead head fly has a long thread collar. Depending on the beads used, you can sometimes hide wraps inside the bead when tying in your last bit of material and then whip finish right behind or just on top of the back of the bead. Makes it look real clean. Your bead head fly would still go into the "Good" pile if I was tying these up.

Also, the second fly, did you mean to tie such a big red thread head as a hot spot? Again, the fish will eat the heck out of this thing but I love a tight and tiny head. Unless of course that is more of a hot spot.

Again, excellent ties. I think the trickiest part is getting the proportions right when working in such small sizes and you did an excellent job of that. Can't wait to see more! Maybe tie a size #40 Zoo Cougar for us? Ha!

Well I guess I Could have made the thread wraps smaller but I added them for Strength I am going to fish these flys and I wanted them for Confidence....

The red is made a little big to dam up the white Zelon and you have to build it up so they will Stay in one place......and actually the rest of the Size #24 IS actually finished of that way.. I think I didn't cut the thread close were I whip finish and it does look a little sloppy because of the Cut and I Double Whip finished them