The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Joni

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brown Trout Candy

I love softhackles, and this section of the river I fish is loaded with Scuds/Sows. So I was thinking why not combine the two. To add a little more spice to this, Hot Pink or Fl. Orange are great key colors.
I prefer the UTC thread as it lays flat and doesn't change color.
This pattern was introduced to me from a good friend Friday while on the river as I watched him pul fish after fish in (Thanks Steve)
HOOK: Scud Hook (I like Mustad C49S) 12 to 24
THREAD: Bright color (Orange, Pink, Red)
BODY: Fine Dubbing (Olive, Grey, Tan, etc)
HACKLE: Smaller size in body matching color

Click the image to open in full size.

Cover the hook with thread as this will show through when wet.

Wrap the dubbing light and try not to top wraps

Add hackle same as tying a Wet Fly

Finished

Again when this is wet, the thread color shows through, and a great effect.
I fish this with a floating line in slower moving water in a drift fashion. It will be more sub surface. I do not add weight at all.
Hardyreels, Pocono and futuramille like this.

Last edited by Joni; 02-06-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:55 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Brown Trout Candy

Joni
I like the way that looks i may have to try some of those here in the East on some of the tailwaters..
Old 02-06-2012, 06:00 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Looks like a cool fly. It will be getting tested on some Driftless Area streams soon!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:09 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a soft hackle fan, too. That one of yours (Steve's) looks nice!

I'll bet it would fish well without the hackle; spikey dubbed body like you have with the thread color showing through.

By the way, I'm using your "transformer" technique on the nymphs that I'm tying up for Mark's Nymph Swap #2.

Pocono