The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 08:13 PM

reelfinatic68 is on a distinguished road
Default My first Clouser Minnow

I've only been tying for about a month. This is my first try at a Clouser Minnow. I know I need to practice my tying.
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...38303330_n.jpg
Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: My first Clouser Minnow

Reel, that's a great looking clouser, especially for your first one! My clousers STILL look awful and I've been tying for a few months now! Keep up the good work!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-08-2012, 08:56 PM

reelfinatic68 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Reel, that's a great looking clouser, especially for your first one! My clousers STILL look awful and I've been tying for a few months now! Keep up the good work!
Thanx!!! Now to see if it will catch fish!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:35 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

great first one it is looking a little thick. Also when tieing down the white behind the eyes make two loose wraps behind the eyes and pull up and hold the white buck tail up and walk your thread back.

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Click the image to open in full size.
my flies always have a nasty thread head
Old 02-09-2012, 02:14 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Nice for your very first CM. My first was so ugly it broke the camera.

To make them look more 'professional' (not to say that one won't catch fish, I'm sure it will) try getting rid of the kinky hairs. It looks like you're using about the right amount of fibers (I used to use way too much). But you might want to make your white and olive fibers about the length of the flash you used.

Also, I noticed that for the size hook you used, the eyes are a bit on the small side. The only reason I mention this, is that this can slow how quickly your fly turns overso that it rides 'eyes down.' Use larger eyes so that the fly will flip over more quickly. Or use a smaller hook.

Finally, one of the things I had the hardest time learning was to control how many wraps I used while making the head. I suggest that you tie your eyes on maybe an eighth of an inch further back from the hookeye. This will allow you to make your wraps without them piling on top of each other so much.

Of course, all of these suggestions are only cosmetic, and have absolutely nothing to do with whether your fly will catch fish or not. I still fish several of my first CMs, which are freaky ugly, to say the least, and without exception, they all catch fish. Well, except the black and pink one. That one might have been a mistake.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark