The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 09:20 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Water Boatmen

Hemiptera Corixidae (love the name)

Click the image to open in full size.

#6 curved short and #12streamer long.
Tie in two strips of heavy wire lengthwise to make the body wide.
Then wrap with heavy wire and crimp flat (leave gap for eyes at hook eye).
Tie in bead chain eyes.
Tie in olive wire and 'mottled bustard thin skin' back at hook bend.
Wrap either peacock hurl or krystal flash dubbing toward the head to create the body.
Reverse wrap wire over hurl or dubbing, secure.
Tie in rubber leg perpendicular to the body (speckled sexy legs here).
Cut small notches in thin skin for thread behind eyes (prevents curling the skin when securing, you want the body to be wide and flat, not round)
Secure thin skin behind eyes, fold excess flap back over thread and leave as wing case.
Whip finish.
Cover top of eyes and skinback with UV glue to shape, harden in place.
SIngle coat of 'hard as hull' over the UV glue. Allow the epxoy to get tacky, then lay down a grain direction over the wings.

I added a #20 mono weed guard on one of the big ones.
I think bass will love these, hopefully I will be able to keep the little bluegills away with the bigger hooks.

Last edited by tbblom; 03-02-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: gotta add that fancy latin name
Old 03-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Water Boatmen

Very nice tying, that pattern looks like it would be very effective, congrats!

Old 03-02-2012, 09:47 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.

Thank you!
I love realism, especially for still water where they just scrutinize the fly while I sit there twichting!
Old 03-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great looking pattern-- nice job
Old 03-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The flies look great Tevis, but I have a question................ The Boatman and the ubiquitous Water Skipper were present almost everywhere I fished in our 48 contiguous states. The question is.............. are you seeing trout eat them? In the north east we used to have Gypsy Moth caterpillars in plague like numbers. They would drop from trees into the water but few were eaten by the trout that I ever witnessed. I'm thinking that the caterpillars did not taste very well and so were ignored.

Not to take away from the fantastic job you've done of creating these bugs but..... I always thought that the Boatman and the Skipper must not taste very well and that was what kept them alive. In arriving at this guess I drew from the Monarch & Viceroy Butterflies as my example. The Monarch has a toxic taste and effect to any bird who would consider one as a dinner option. The Viceroy is believed to have evolved to mimic the Monarch as a means of survival.

I had always ignored the water bugs thinking that somehow fish must not be eating them. Thinking back the bugs are almost always found in protected pockets near shore and that may well be what keeps them alive. Perhaps those lone slashing rises I would see when insects were not present were the result of some hapless Boatman who got too close to the current.

Learning of your observations and whether or not your trout are eating these is the purpose for what I have written here.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
The flies look great Tevis, but I have a question................ The Boatman and the ubiquitous Water Skipper were present almost everywhere I fished in our 48 contiguous states. The question is.............. are you seeing trout eat them?
Ard you beat me on this question...never seen any fish eating one
....your tying is great though tbblom
Old 03-03-2012, 03:39 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Nice Flies & pic of The Original,What a Mouthfull,I'll stick to Water Boatman as I know they are part of The Corixadae Family.
Brian.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:26 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Trouties eat them in stillwaters over 8,000 ft in the E Sierra. Tag one behind a Matulka or bugger and tow it around a little in your tube.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:13 PM

I thought they might be good for bass in local ponds; I can't remember who it was , but someone was telling me that the water boatmen work well in alpine lakes. I assume they would work well in beaver ponds too.
I had some good days fishing stillwater last year, hoping to do a lot more this year. Just a different game than rivers for sure...
I hope the cutties in the high lakes like them!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:40 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Trouties eat them in stillwaters over 8,000 ft in the E Sierra. Tag one behind a Matulka or bugger and tow it around a little in your tube.
Never seen them taken but are a "major food source in stillwaters trout fisheries". Taken from my entomology class booklet. Looks like a winner, now find that fishery.