The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By planettrout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 07:12 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough
Default Looking for Kern Candy Fly Pattern

I'm taking my first trip to the Kern at the end of March. I've heard the pattern to use is called the Kern Candy. I've been looking on the internet and have found only one recipe (no pictures were included) and 2 pictures in another post. Does anyone have a pattern and detailed pictures to tie this fly that they can post?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:09 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default Re: Looking for Kern Candy Fly Pattern

The Kern Candy is a very simple pattern:

Click the image to open in full size.

HOOK: TMC 2457, Daiichi 1120, Mustad CO68 - #10-#16

ABDOMEN: Pink Crystal Estaz

BEAD: Tungsten or Gold Brass with 6-7 turns of lead or Lead Sub.

...and don't forget this one:

Guy Jean’s famous Kern Emerger pattern

Hook: TMC 5262 # 10 -18

Thread: Uni 6/0 or 8/0

Tail: Black Hen feathers

Rib: Gold tinsel, ( I use XSM gold wire for # 18 )

Abdomen: Peacock herl

Wingcase: Razor foam, pick yer’ color!

Legs: Here ,black Raineys rubber,but one could experiment!

Thorax: Peacock Ice Dub,Peacock Herl, SLF Prism Peacock or Arizona Peacock

Bead: Tung with lots of lead or non toxic sub. on thorax

Hit the Shop in Kernville before going on the water...they are good guys and will update 'ya...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 03-09-2012, 08:18 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the patterns. I'd seen the top pic before. I wasn't sure how the abdomen is made flat compared to thorax area with the estaz. Is it just wrapped tight or is it trimmed or something else?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:31 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

One may trim it in back...However, I like to use Pink Holographic Tinsel for the abdomen and the estaz for the thorax...The river is loaded with stone flies and the Kern Emerger imitates them.

Another good pattern for the Kern is Dean Endress's ROBO PT...a search should turn that one up. The Kern is a big freestone river and one of the most dangerous I have ever waded...keep tabs on the flows...if we get snow in the Southern Sierras this month or late rains, that place can get nasty and off color - QUICK...

PT/TB

Old 03-09-2012, 10:25 PM

Good idea about the holo tinsel. Obviously I didn't think of that. I'll keep the river conditions in mind, don't want my first time on the Kern to be my last.
Thanks!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post

Guy Jean’s famous Kern Emerger pattern

Hook: TMC 5262 # 10 -18

Thread: Uni 6/0 or 8/0

Tail: Black Hen feathers

Rib: Gold tinsel, ( I use XSM gold wire for # 18 )

Abdomen: Peacock herl

Wingcase: Razor foam, pick yer’ color!

Legs: Here ,black Raineys rubber,but one could experiment!

Thorax: Peacock Ice Dub,Peacock Herl, SLF Prism Peacock or Arizona Peacock

Bead: Tung with lots of lead or non toxic sub. on thorax

PT/TB
PT - I won't be able to get the Razor Foam. Is the purpose of the color just to provide a hot spot in the wing case area? If so, do you think something like pink or red diamond braid would be as effective (since the foam is not meant to float the fly)?

Thanks,
Lee
Old 03-10-2012, 01:09 PM

Any kind of thinner closed cell foam will work...pink and yellow are good colors. Foam in the wing case adds a wobble action to the nymph that is absolutely seductive to Trout...I use the razor foam on a lot of my other small nymph under other wing case materials...

Like these:

SPLIT/ WING CASE BAETIS NYMPH

HOOK: Daiichi 1130, #16-#22, TMC 2487, #16-#22, Mustad c49s, #16-#22

THREAD: Gordon Griffith 14/0, Sheer, Gray

TAIL: Lemon Woodduck

ABDOMEN: Premo Goose Biots, Blue Winged Olive, or Olive, or Natural

RIB: Largutan, x-fine Gold wire

THORAX: Wapsi Beaver Dubbing, Dark Tan

LEGS: Lemon Wooduck

UNDER WING CASE: Wapsi, Razor Foam, Translucent Dun, 1.0 MM

OVER WING CASE: Spirit River Holographic Mylar Motion, 1/64″, Black…three strands, each side, to edge of pulled over foam, this IS tricky…patience prevails

PT/TB
futuramille likes this.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:56 PM

How do these look?

Lee
Old 03-10-2012, 10:04 PM

Those ties should work just fine...

Sending you a PM...

PT/TB