The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 07:47 AM

jmcg is on a distinguished road
Default My First Streamer

This is an old pattern originating in NH back in the 1920's.
Maynard's Marvel

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My First Streamer

jmcg: Very nice work on your first streamer, I'm sure it will catch fish for you. Congrats!

Larry
Old 07-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You are off to a good start. The fly is a good pattern for your area and any place at all. I have used it and many variations through the years and still keep some in my collection. Nice job on the wing.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-11-2010, 10:39 AM

Thanks guys. I had some good schooling over at a buddy's house yesterday.
it took three tries to get it all together.

I had been trying to imitate a single dimensional picture and it wasn't until Reed 'splained a couple of things, that I got it right.

These are fun to tie.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Since you are up North and are probably fishing for trout and landlocked salmon take a look at the Nine Three streamer pattern. In the time since I started tying streamers the Nine Three is the best all round tie for anywhere I have fished. Here's a tip, don't make the wings as long as some pictures show them. They look good in the vise and in the water but when you fish them the feathers get wrapped around inside the bend of the hook and make the fly cork screw through the water. I have never had a fish take a cork screwing streamer as far as I know. When the fly is swimming nice and strait they are unbeatable.

If you keep tying feather wings keeping the wing just barely beyond the hook bend will be helpful. If you have flies with really long wings they will work great but you gotta keep an eye on them and every now and then un-wrap the feathers from the hook. The best way to know that it is time to check the fly is if you haven't had a strike in half a dozen casts. If you tie a Nine Three, post it....................

Ard

Old 07-11-2010, 11:17 AM

Thanks Ard..The Nine Three looks like a good one.
I need some green feathers and when I get them, I'll tie one up and post the result.
What is a good substitute for jungle cock?
I vaguely remember a conversation on that subject, but can't recall.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Administrator

For jungle cock substitute take a gold pheasant tippet and peel it down until you have just a little left on the feather quill. Then swipe it with a little head cement of Feather Tough and tie them on. Not perfect but better than those plastic jobs.

This is not a good picture but it shows the look of the cheek feather. This is a link to our own site, The Cross Fitch, steelhead, trout, salmon

Old 07-11-2010, 11:57 AM

I wish I had started a decade ago.
There is no end to possibilities.
Very beautiful fly!

I need to start collecting road kill and bumper knocking a turkey.
They are overrunning the place!

I have plenty of grouse, huns and woodcock and pheasant tail feathers, though.

Its good to know that red and gray squirrel make good materials.

How about chipmunk?
Old 07-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Thanks Ard, that Golden Pheasant makes a pretty good substitute.

Frank
Old 07-11-2010, 07:02 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
How about chipmunk?
I've never seen a pattern that calls for Chipmunk, but I'll bet it would work just fine for smaller hairwing patterns. Gray squirrel and pine squirrel will give you longer hair fibers to work with.

I'm originally from Newburyport, MA, so am familiar with most of NH.

Very nice for your first streamer - keep on tying them up!

Pocono