The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 05:37 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default marabou leech

had alot of luck on a black wooley bugger last time at the river. figured it represented a leech. well I made this today after seeing a marabou leech on fly anglers onlines fly tying recipe section.. I used a size 6 streamer hook. instead of using crazy colors like the pics on the webpage I just used black marabou and added flash. I also didn't add any soft hackle to the front next one I tie I will put some.. I wanted this to resemble a leech pattern so I used the all black.. hopefully it will take a bass or something! what ya guys think? I should add a bead head or bead eyes to it next time for weight. any tips? the marabou was crazy to work with kinda.. I also clipped underneath the fly to expose the hook some as it was completely covered. hope it works. I need my new matarelli style whip for the bead head tho. its on the way. well heres the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marabou leech.JPG (47.2 KB, 167 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: marabou leech

It looks like it'll get hit, but it looks like the hook might be too far forward to hook as many as you'd like.

If you find this happening, you can pinch off some of the length. Just pinch very tightly with both hands at the point where you want it yanked off and break off the extra length. This is preferrable to cutting it off, as it will give the fly a fuzzy end instead of a paintbrush type appearance.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:57 AM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road

You made my "super sucker" leech!:O
Looks good, I should try making one with sparkle in it.
And can I get a link to the fly recipe you based it off of?
Old 10-19-2007, 03:59 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

heres that recipe. Flesh Flies - Fly Angler's OnLine "Intermediate Fly Tying Part 49"
thanks cliff for the tip on breaking off the marabou. the marabou I have seems kinda long. I had to trim the bottom to get to the hook. lol

Old 10-19-2007, 04:37 PM

just did what ya said cliff and it worked great! now they are shorter and better looking. I made another yesterday and added lead wire under the body and black partridge hackle on the front

Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Ah, but do the fish like how they look?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:58 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Instead of a leaded body...try dumbell eyes in brass. It will ride hook up and be more snag resistant. Not to mention the hook will set better in the up position. The weight forward design and a little jigging retrieve will make it dance very realistically. Incredible bass leech.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 10-27-2007, 01:31 PM

jya dumbell eyes are the way to go. not even the lead wrap helped it get down. it sunk very very slowly. had to add a split shot. didn't get a bite then but then again neither did anyone till way later in the evening,

Old 12-27-2007, 09:45 AM

larrysmith9865 is on a distinguished road

I tied almost same fly last year in winter but added a bead to front and tail wasnt as long. When I went to the platte after using normal flies and caught nothing I tried that one and caught 4 nice trout in about 45 mins the fish seemed to love it unfortunatly I snagged and lost it so my day ended only having the one tied but now it is a essential part of my fly box especially winter fishing
Old 12-27-2007, 02:49 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

try wetting the maribou before you tie it in..it keeps it in place and not standing all over, plus you will see how it will look....also pinch the center point off before tying in..if you wet the fly before casting it will sink alot faster..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..