The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 11:42 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Midge Emerger

I'll start by saying that I didn't invent this pattern. I picked one up somewhere and have copied and played with it. I wanted to share it, because it has been very successful for me these past couple months. It's a sort of zebra midge emerger, but I've been calling it the Miracle Midge since it's caught so many fish where other flies have failed.

Hook: Curved, dry or nymph whether you want it to be able to float in the film. I tie it 18-22, though a 24 might be nice.
Thread: black 8/0
Tail: optional, I use a dun color for a trailing shuck.
Body: black thread
Ribbing: either white thread or silver french oval tinsel, small
Thorax: thread
Wing: white foam
Hackle: black, I use size 22 and have tied some parachute style

I like tying the foam and tail a bit long since they are easy to trim on the river. Here are two examples of how I tie it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I've had great luck with them in the surface film, especially during a hatch of midges or BWO's (they haven't minded the black). I've also found they are great fished deeper, under an indicator. I put a small bit of soft weight 6-12 inches above the fly so the fly is lower in the water column but able to float up from the bottom. I was cleaning up with them this afternoon, you can see one has the thread coming undone after a few too many fish.

If anyone knows the name of the fly, let me know! I love it.

Thanks for looking.

William
Old 04-10-2012, 10:15 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Midge Emerger

I don't know an official name for the fly, but I do see the style using the foam in this manner referred to as 'sugar cube'. There is a midge larva pattern named miracle midge from Colorado, but it looks different. (white floss over black thread and a black head)
What ever you call it I like it and glad your doing well with it.
Thanks for sharing it.