The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Joni
  • 1 Post By Liphookedau

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Boobie Mid

A friend sent me an article about Canadians using foam on their Chironomids.
I could not wrap my head around it at first. I am thinking deep nymphing I want the mid down deep fast! That is also the reason for using a Type VII or the floating with long leader.
Then I got to thinking maybe the foam would help give more movement to the fly.
I was at first thinking the foam would make the fly float up. And sure it would if you put a big chunk of foam, but I put Rainy's small white foam Dumbbells on an Allen 200#12 hook.
I wrapped the fly like I normally do.

Click the image to open in full size.

Next I got a big jar and filled it with water. I dropped a normal bead head (not lead or tungsten, just regular metal bead). It sank straight down. I bounced it and it was just up and down.
I then dropped the Boobie. Well obviuosly it sank slower but it floated down, not a straight down drop. So even if I add split shot to the line 6" up from the mid, the line will drop fast but the fly hangs freely. When I bounced it, it had very nice movement. Adding bigger foam dumbbells might make them float up, but I am like this movement.

Very interesting I thought. Now I just need to leave the Carp alone and go try them.
mcnerney, futuramille and madjoni like this.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:32 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Boobie Mid

The English have been Tying with Polystyrene for years,they really float high depending on the size Bead.
The best way to attach them is with a piece of Stocking Material,also you can paint them different colours however from experience you have to watch what you paint them with as some Paints dissolve them.
Brian
Joni likes this.

Last edited by Liphookedau; 04-13-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:28 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Joni: That is a very interesting effect the foam has on the way the hook floats in the water column.

Larry

Old 04-13-2012, 10:42 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

VERY popular pattern in the UK. And I think you/Larry are on to why they're so effective. The basic pattern is what they'd call a "Buzzer" (we a chromanoid? -sp?). They're typically fished as a dry fly, but as noted they hang in the surface hook point down.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:13 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Interesting piece of R&D work Joni... thanks for sharing.

Looks like a 'berry killer!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The concept looks similar to LaFontaine's Halo Mayfly Emerger (though his used the translucent foam like is used to pack electronics)-

LaFontaine Private Label - Halo Mayfly Emerger

That puts you in good company!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.