The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By s fontinalis
  • 2 Post By iaflyguy
  • 1 Post By trout sniper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 03:49 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Titanic

Tomorrow night marks the 100th anniversary of the sinking of RMS Titanic, built in Harland and Wolff Ship Yard, Belfast.

I got inspired yesterday to tie a fly to commemorate this anniversary, and today I came up with this streamer.

Hook: Mustad Chestertown 3298 Size 9 (Blind Eye)
Tail: White over black goose shoulder
Tag and rib: Silver tinsel
Body: Black floss
Throat: White over black goose shoulder with white extending to tail, black 3/4 way along body
Wing: 4 white hackles flanked by 2 JC nails each side
Roof: Black goose shoulder inverted
Topping

I thought to include some Amherst Pheasant horns, but forgot to put them on, and after seeing the fly as is, i think they would be too much. I also wanted a white band on the head representing the owners of the ship, the White Star Line, but it was already bulky with the gut and all the other elements at that point. Maybe if i tied it on an eyed hook, there would it would be doable

Each element of the fly has some significance
The colors of the throat, body and tail are for the hull of the ship. The long sweeping white goose of the throat signifies the white lateral stripe.
The JC, with 4 eyes for the 4 funnels
The silver tag and rib for the glamor of the maiden voyage.
The white wing for the clear cold night and smoke from the funnels and finally the topping for the lights of the ship.

I'd like to make it a bit neater overall, but i generally am happy with how it came out given i'm not an accomplished streamer tyer.
I also think a bigger hook would be nice, with a slightly larger gape, I have the chestertown in size 6 as well, so i'll likely retie it on that hook.

Any comments, suggestions and critiques are welcome

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
madjoni and gt05254 like this.

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 04-13-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:41 PM

iaflyguy will become famous soon enoughiaflyguy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Titanic

On a serious note, that is a beautiful fly. I don't even know what I could possibly critique. Its sleek, elegant, and refined. Well done.

On a more light hearted note..... what is the sinking rate of this fly? Sorry, I'm sure that was in bad taste, but I couldn't resist.
swirlchaser and mbphotos54 like this.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful fly Eunan.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Eunan: Awesome work!

Old 04-13-2012, 05:45 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaflyguy View Post
On a serious note, that is a beautiful fly. I don't even know what I could possibly critique. Its sleek, elegant, and refined. Well done.

On a more light hearted note..... what is the sinking rate of this fly? Sorry, I'm sure that was in bad taste, but I couldn't resist.

"Bad taste? You don't even know what bad taste is like until you have tried my wife's cooking"- some random guy off the internet

Seriously, though, nice fly.
iaflyguy likes this.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You have created a very fine feather wing Eunan.

If you wanted one that would seriously remind me of the Titanic you should tie the JC strait up at a 90 from the shank, 4 of them just like the stacks on the ship. After the 4 pair of nails are mounted then tie the wings to hide the juncture. Of course placing as many tiny dots of black paint down the quill of the wing feathers would represent some portholes would add another touch. It would not look nearly as nice but would say 'Titanic' very well.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;