The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 01:30 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about
Default Swimming Frog (foam body)

Here's one I just tied up over lunch. I usually tie these swimming frogs with spun deer hair bodies, but I decided to tie one using foam to save time. Also had an idea to use bead chain for front legs on the bottom of the hook shank to make sure it floats right side up. This will also make it semi-suspend and slowly float back up when it dives during the strip.

The legs are rabbit strips with a 50# mono-filament "spring" sticking through each leg. This brings the legs back out to the side after they kick straight back during the strip. Very natural movement that way. I trim the hair off of the lower leg portion to make a more natural leg profile, leaving a clump of hair for the feet.

Super glued the doll eye between layers of foam. Probably won't hold up, but it's all I had today. I have some light weight plastic dumbbell eyes on order that will be better.

Frogs are great baits for bass.

Click the image to open in full size.