The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 06:36 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default Idea for articulated flies

I was tying some articulated bunnies for my Alaska trip and a thought occurred to me. Rather than tying an infinite array of two color flies, with one color on the front and another on the back, why not just attach a small clip or swivel to the rear end of the front portion. Then tie a series of the back portion with different colors. To change color combinations all you would need to do is unhook one and put a different color on!
Ain't I a genius!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Idea for articulated flies

YOU ARE! but great minds think alike....it has been done, and yes a great idea.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

A good idea but I don't subscribe to the idea of the need for huge flies to catch these fish. They no doubt work or there wouldn't be so many people making them but casting them makes a tough job even harder. If I were fishing for king salmon (and I am) I would be sure to have some of the AK. Assassin pattern tied on Gamakatsu 2/0 standard salmon hooks. I stuck the tying recipe on the Flies That Work thread in the AK. forums.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-14-2012, 11:50 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

One thing at a time Ard!
last year I landed 17 Kings in 6.5 days of fishing and lost 12 others. No fish that I know of were foul hooked even though I used weighted, articulated bunnies. This year I am using those same articulated bunnies, although without weight. I also have some single hook bunnies which I admit are easier to cast. I will also be using different lengths of T20 sink tips made up with braided mono loops on the ends as per your instructions (sort of).
Next year I may try some classic flies.
How are the welded loops turning out?