The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 10:01 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough
Default Medusa Slider

Medusa Slider

Click the image to open in full size.I have seen this pattern appear two times in Fly Tier, the first time as a bass fly and the other as a Redfish fly. Considering I fish for both species (and I have a void in my fly box for a good slider), I had to give it a shot. It is a simple and quick fly to tie that has a good looking action.

Materials:

Hook: Mustad O’Shaughnessy Size 2 2XH/1XL
Foam: 1/16(?) inch Black
Brown craft yarn
Pearl Krystal Flash
Thread: Black G
Gold Paint Marker
Clear Coat
Click the image to open in full size.

1. Tie on at the eye of the hook, wrap to the bend of the shank.

2. Cut approximately 12 pieces of yarn, each 2 inches long. Next, cut another piece of yarn to about 8 inches.

3. Tie all cut yarn on at the bend of the hook, keeping the longest piece on top.

4. Remove one strand of Krystal Flash from the ream. Next, cut strand into 4 equal pieces. Finally, tie the Krystal Flash onto the hook on top of the yarn tie-on pointing backward.

5. Trace the shape of a teardrop approximately inch wide and inch long onto foam sheet. See image for shape and position on foam.

- I created the teardrop shape by drawing a straight line across the foam at inch and perpendicular lines every inch. I then marked every inch (for the point). However, a teardrop shaped stencil or cutter would save a lot of time and hassle.
6. Cut out shapes as drawn in last step.

7. Tie first piece of cut foam onto hook starting at the bend and working forward. Position the foam so that the rounded end of each piece point back, using the last 1/8 inch as the tie-on. Make sure to bend the foam around the hook to give the body a rounded shape. Repeat to fill hook shank (approximately 5 depending on the hook size).

8. Wrap the 8 inch piece of tail yarn up the shank between the pieces of foam toward the eye. Tie down the yarn and form a small head to assist the diving action of the fly and to repel weeds.

9. Tie off and add a bead of super glue to the head and between each piece of foam. Final touches include clear coat on the head, gold paint marker on the edges of the foam teardrops, and separation of each piece of yarn on the tail.

NOTE: The picture of this step is slightly wrong; my fly tying lamp melted the tops of the foam.

I actually made a few modifications from the pattern in the magazine. First, the magazine uses marabou and Ice Chenille instead of yarn (I was out of both). Also, the bass version has rubber legs. I don’t know what the original name of the fly was but I thought “Medusa” fits well with the crazy yarn tail. Not meaning to take the credit away from the original tier.

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!

Last edited by fishingfly; 06-24-2012 at 10:41 PM.