The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 12:52 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Real JC really does make the difference...

Click the image to open in full size.

The two on the left I'll call Bash's Smelt.
Tail: red hackle barbs or sparse red wool
body: gold halo tinsel
rib: med gold wire
throat: light purple bucktail or lavander
wing: two claret flanked by two whites
JC eyes

And the right side I'll call Fall Marauder
tail: peacock swords
body: yellow silk floss
rib/tag: silver wire
throat: orange bucktail
wing: 4 claret hackles
JC eyes
They all still need a coat or two of Sally's.

I've got an invite to Great Camp Sagamore this fall and found out that I might also be in the Lake Placid area so hopefully these will see a swim in the Ausable or maybe the Saranac.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Real JC really does make the difference...

Nice streamers Bill, you'll have to tell me how you ended up headed that way.... It's a nice part of the country,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-12-2012, 03:47 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Real JC really does make the difference...

Oh So Yes! There are 'fake this, fake that,' but there is no satisfactory substitute for real JC when your tie.

Your fingers, your eyes, your imagination tell you everything you need to know, and DAMN THE EXPENSE .. FULL STEAM AHEAD.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:55 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Your right there Fred, I tied a few with starling and they looked ok but when put next to the real thing they couldn't hold a candle to it.

Thanks Ard, I was always partial to plain old bucktails when it came to streamers but nothing moves like the feather wings. As for the Sagamore jaunt, my girlfriend's cousin is the head curator or something to that effect for the Camps. So her bother and his wife along with some other family members are headed up after it all closes to the public ( I think). Either way I was told that she has her summer place on Raquette Lake and he home is up in the Lake Placid area so I get a break from Ohio to the North and Central ADKs. I'm more concerned with brookie streams but if I'm up that way I can't pass up the Ausable and I was hoping somebody might chime in on wether the Landlocks have a fall run on the Saranac.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:09 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice looking flies WT. You are right, there's nothing that comes close enough to JC when added to a fly. I've tried the tip of starling and a guinea feather and placed them up against the fly but never tied them in. They looked better without an eye until I put the JC in them.

Sounds like you've got a nice trip coming up. I was in Lake Placid years ago but not for fishing, it was in the winter actually for a hockey tournament. It is absolutely gorgeous there in the winter, I can only imagine what it's like any other time of year.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:38 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

PM sent
Gary