The North American Fly Fishing Forum


Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree8Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Liphookedau's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: AUSTRALIA
Posts: 2,461
Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Diving Caddis...

A really nice Fly,like Larry I'm about to tie some of The Caddis Pattern to try in the next few days as I think they will be a good Fly over here where it's Winter & The Caddis are about as we have had some nice days.
Even though the Temp doesn't go anywhere as low as you guys put up with,.
Friends & I all agree it's The Coldest one we can remember as The Winds are Freezing.
Thanks for Recipe.
Brian
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2012, 12:03 PM
stenacron's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sandy, UT
Posts: 683
stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: Diving Caddis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjoni View Post

Interesting experience!And I had different
I have one suggestion for you if you find that antron is stiff,use CDC for sparkle pupa and I can bet that you will have success
Even beyond the Antron bubble - ooh, there's that word again - GLF's method of "touch dubbing" doesn't seem to make for a very durable body either. Now, having said all that; Caddisflies by Gary LaFontaine is THE DEFINITIVE STUDY on this subject from an angler, and for the angler, and still stands as one of the greatest books of all time on the subject of fly fishing. I still reference it often and find the descriptions to be very accurate and the information contained within to be extremely valuable. I just don't see eye-to-eye with the supporting patterns.

Back to the body of the fly for a minute, the pre-spun body types that Leisenring/Hidy/Hughes described and perfected are not only nearly indestructible, but also create a better illusion of life-like translucency IMO.

Here's a look at the spinning block that I made based on Hughes' description of Hidy's creation (Wet Flies by Dave Hughes). You can bang out an entire season's worth of bodies over the time span of a single NASCAR event by the way.
Click the image to open in full size.

And here's a close-up of one of the "body cards" that I store on my bench.
Click the image to open in full size.
jaydawg likes this.
__________________
"Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2012, 02:58 PM
dean_mt's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Western Montana
Posts: 2,892
dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Diving Caddis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Even beyond the Antron bubble - ooh, there's that word again - GLF's method of "touch dubbing" doesn't seem to make for a very durable body either. Now, having said all that; Caddisflies by Gary LaFontaine is THE DEFINITIVE STUDY on this subject from an angler, and for the angler, and still stands as one of the greatest books of all time on the subject of fly fishing. I still reference it often and find the descriptions to be very accurate and the information contained within to be extremely valuable. I just don't see eye-to-eye with the supporting patterns.

Back to the body of the fly for a minute, the pre-spun body types that Leisenring/Hidy/Hughes described and perfected are not only nearly indestructible, but also create a better illusion of life-like translucency IMO.

Here's a look at the spinning block that I made based on Hughes' description of Hidy's creation (Wet Flies by Dave Hughes). You can bang out an entire season's worth of bodies over the time span of a single NASCAR event by the way.
Click the image to open in full size.

And here's a close-up of one of the "body cards" that I store on my bench.
Click the image to open in full size.
Dave Hughes is one of my other favorite fly tier / writers. I have adopted many of his wet fly techniques. But I have to say I am not familiar with this spinning block devise you have. Can you explain the method of twisting? When use dubbing loops its always just right on the hook, and it works great, but I can see how having a set of pre-fabbed threads would be a lot more efficient.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2012, 04:05 PM
stenacron's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sandy, UT
Posts: 683
stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: Diving Caddis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post

Dave Hughes is one of my other favorite fly tier / writers. I have adopted many of his wet fly techniques. But I have to say I am not familiar with this spinning block devise you have. Can you explain the method of twisting? When use dubbing loops its always just right on the hook, and it works great, but I can see how having a set of pre-fabbed threads would be a lot more efficient.

Thanks!
Leisenring made it a point to pre-spin, and store all of his bodies… of course his method was to roll them on his pants leg which he describes in detail in his book. According to Dave Hughes' book, Leisenring's "student" Pete Hidy took this action off the pants leg and onto this spinning block. Basically you just need about a 5-6" piece of wood (notched in the center on the lower end), a couple pairs of finish nails (to line up the thread), and something to pinch down the thread (I stretched a material clip – spring – across the top of mine).

-1) Catch the thread in the material clip and run it the length of the block, between the finish nails.

-2) Roll out some more thread (a little more than what would be needed to stretch back to the clip) and let it hang in the bobbin off the block – resting in the notch.

-3) Take some super tacky wax and blot it on the thread – both in the working area, and on the part hanging off the block.

-4) Now take a small amount of your dubbing material, prepare it, and place it flat on top of the thread stretched between the nails)… spread it out about 2-3 inches.

-5) Now in your left hand, take a "hook type" dubbing loop tool (many of these are home made as well) and hook the hanging thread just below the block… then with your right hand, swing the bobbin up and bring the thread down between the nails (pinching the material between the two threads) and place it in the material clip.

-6) Now spin the loop tool a few times and then pick it up out of the notch in the wood while maintaining slight tension… this will twist the material into a perfect dubbing rope.

-7) Now grab both ends of the threaded loop and remove it from the block – maintaining tension – and then place it onto an index card with slits cut on each end. In time the wax will set nicely and you will have a virtually indestructible body.

Pre-spinning the bodies accomplishes two things; first, it reduces the time required to tie these flies, but secondly (and most important) it virtually guarantees that the material will be captured perfectly between the two strands of thread before twisting it into a rope.

Not sure if I described it sensibly here or not, but Dave Hughes goes into great detail on this subject in his book Wet Flies. Outside of Leisenring's The Art of Tying the Wet Fly – which is the soft hackle Bible as far as I'm concerned – Dave Hughes' book is the best I've seen/read on the subject of tying/fishing soft hackles.

Hope this helps...

Tight lines!
wt bash likes this.
__________________
"Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 AM
BigCliff's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,313
BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Diving Caddis...

LaFontaine actually had a pattern called the diving caddis, and it looks a bit different-

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's some info on the fly from Gary's company- LaFontaine Private Label - Diving Caddis

You'll notice it had dry fly hackle rather than soft hackle. If I recall correctly from his book "Trout Flies" (a much less dry read than Caddisflies), the diving caddis was designed to be greased up and fished across and down with a technique he called "the good, bad mend". The idea is to mend it repeatedly, making the fly twitch slightly with each mend with the intention of making it look alive.

My favorite wet fly is a version of Gary's diving caddis tied with partridge hackle. Swinging it under a foam line in slow moving water can produce a fish every cast.
stenacron likes this.
__________________
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2012, 12:10 AM
rickyortiz's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 33
rickyortiz will become famous soon enoughrickyortiz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Diving Caddis...

I tied up one of these a couple days ago and went out to try on a local river and I ended up landing the biggest trout i've caught on a fly rod so a big thank you for this pattern!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2012, 04:46 PM
stenacron's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sandy, UT
Posts: 683
stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: Diving Caddis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post

If I recall correctly from his book "Trout Flies" (a much less dry read than Caddisflies), the diving caddis was designed to be greased up and fished across and down with a technique he called "the good, bad mend". The idea is to mend it repeatedly, making the fly twitch slightly with each mend with the intention of making it look alive.
The "good, bad mend", I'll have to remember that phrase. That's exactly how you have to fish most wet flies on a down and across approach because many times you're standing mid-stream and alternately fishing both banks... so you have to constantly mend to keep the fly on a semi-slack drift to keep it from ripping away from the bank.

Dancing it across the tailouts of pools draws explosive strikes as well, but tougher to get a solid hook-up when they hit it directly downstream.
__________________
"Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2012, 05:10 PM
BigCliff's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,313
BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Diving Caddis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
The "good, bad mend", I'll have to remember that phrase. That's exactly how you have to fish most wet flies on a down and across approach because many times you're standing mid-stream and alternately fishing both banks... so you have to constantly mend to keep the fly on a semi-slack drift to keep it from ripping away from the bank.

Dancing it across the tailouts of pools draws explosive strikes as well, but tougher to get a solid hook-up when they hit it directly downstream.
Yeah, its nice when doing something "barely wrong" is exactly right.
__________________
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scuba Underwater Diving Dive WaterProof Digital Camera Cam Snorkeling Housing Ebay USA Digital Cameras for sale 0 07-20-2012 10:40 AM
Diving Popper Test 1 mbphotos54 Share Patterns 7 07-12-2012 10:52 PM
COLUMBIA PFG White Cotton FISHING SHIRT Embroidered Fish Diving Into Pocket L Ebay USA Fishing Shirts and Clothing 0 04-22-2012 03:20 PM
Scuba Diving Underwater Digital Camera Dive Mask Snorkeling Snorkel Bag CM321 Ebay USA Digital Cameras for sale 0 02-12-2012 09:30 AM
Diving Frog (deer Head Clouser) JOCELIN General Fly Tying Discussions 1 04-08-2008 11:12 AM













All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.