The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 08:42 PM

doc will become famous soon enough
Default A few stillwater patterns I came up with

X-mas Chronie
Click the image to open in full size.

RECIPE
HOOK: Sizes 8 to 24 C49S Mustad
THREAD: Black
RIB: Fine gold wire.
BODY: Red holographic tinsel and green holographic tinsel
THORAX: Peacock herl.
HEAD: Silver bead.
GILLS: White calf tail or Stillwater Solutions 'Midge Gill' (optional)

The red butt section of this midge pupa pattern represents the remaining hemoglobin you may see in some chironomids from their larva stage. The bright sheen from the holographic tinsel used in this pattern works both as an attractor as well as representing the trapped air used by the pupa to travel upwards to the surface where it will turn into and adult midge. The X-Mas Chronie has been very successful in any stillwater fishery I've encountered; I hope you have the same results. Click here for step-by-step instructions.

Redd October

RECIPE
HOOK: Size #12 - #6 Dry Fly 94833 Mustad
THREAD: Black 8/O.
RIB: Fine Gold Wire.
BODY: Small Red Holographic Tinsel
BEAD: Gold 3/32"

Because of the incredible response from the trout to the X-mas Chronie, I came up with this bloodworm pattern based on the red holographic butt section of that pattern. The trout's response to this pattern was simply unbelievable. I've never had as much success with any other fly before or since. The best way to fish this fly is with a strike indicator and enough leader to set the fly one to two feet off any bottom structure. Click here for step-by step tying instructions.

Water Docman

RECIPE
HOOK: Dry sizes 10 to 14
THREAD: Black
BODY: Tan nymph skin
SHELL: Brown sheet foam
LEGS: Super stretch floss

I invented this fly in the fall of 2004 for the Boatman migration on Muir Lake. This is a floating fly and can be successfully fished two ways. With a nine-foot leader and fast sinking line, cast the fly out and wait for your line to sink. Once your fly has been pulled under the surface film by your sinking line start your retrieve. This will pull the fly straight down to imitate a diving Water Boatman ready to lay its eggs. This method works extremely well with the older sinking line that forms a belly in it as the fly will also rise straight up on your retrieve simulating a Water Boatman rising to the surface for air. The other method requires floating line. Look for rings on the surface where trout are rising to Water Boatman, then cast into the ring. You should get a hit immediately, if not give it some movement. Some days you will need fast movement, some days slow. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Instructions:
Cut a piece of sheet foam and tie in at the bend of the hook. Now cut and tie in one piece of super stretch floss as the legs using figure eights with you thread about 1/3 the way down the hook shank from the eye of the hook. Now tie in the nymph skin at the bend and wrap forward to the eye then tie off. Now pull the sheet foam forward and tie off. Clip remaining sheet foam so you leave a head.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 11-08-2008, 03:54 PM

doc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A few stillwater patterns I came up with

Here's one more to add to the list.

Star Scud

RECIPE
HOOK: Sizes 12 to 16 C49S Mustad
WEIGHT: Lead wire
THREAD: Tan 8/O
RIB: Fine gold wire.
BODY: H&H Rainbow sow scud dubbing
SHELL BACK: Stillwater Solutions calibaetis midge flex 1/8"

I came up with this pattern in 2005 after a day of fishing at Star Lake. After I came in, I decided to cast from the shore until dark and once dark was upon me I inspected the shoreline to see what nocturnal creatures were active. What I saw were thousands of scuds. Upon closer inspection in front of my headlights I noticed the color of the scuds being a tan color. I chose the rainbow scud dubbing for it's high sparkle qualities in hopes it would attract more trout. It worked and is currently my favorite scud pattern for any stillwaters I fish.

For step by step instructions, click here...
Star Scud

Cheers,
Doc
Old 11-09-2008, 12:32 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: A few stillwater patterns I came up with

great patterns! thanks for the recipes

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.