The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 08:28 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Need help with my sculpin

I agree the head is quite awful haha just trying something else if anything it will be mistaken for a wolly bugger
Old 09-24-2012, 09:15 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say awful by any means and in no way did I intend to give you that impression. You're close man, real close. It just needs a tweak. I have got tons of ideas and feedback through the years from other tiers that has helped me tremendously. Just trying to provide some help in return
Old 09-24-2012, 10:02 PM

dont feel bad for giving me that impression i am a perfectionist of sorts and always try to make the fly "realistic" when in reality as soon as it hits the water it looks the same as any perfect fly hah
Old 09-25-2012, 08:26 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

can i suggest you check out Rich Strolis Meat Helmet Sculpin on Vimeo. Great fly. I've tied a couple of them. His uses craft fur in the body, but i didnt have any, so i used palmer chenille.
Here's the one i tied. its identical to Rich's except the change noted above.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I have tied several of these. They dive quickly and find snags very easily. Although I think fish will like them, I have lost the fly in a snag every time.
Deer hair head versions seem to work better in lakes or slow water as they can be slowly retrieved.
Realistically you need very fast water, very fast retrieve, or a snag free area to make these work. Also (speaking from experience), the heads are large and heavy, meaning that if you hit your rod or your head it will cause some damage!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:54 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I've had good luck with spun deer hair...
Wool...
But for Erie Lakeruns this variation of a Muddler has done the best.
The wool head is the easiest to tie, you just grab bunches of wool and pack them in tight brushing each bunch back before you tie in the next clump. You can try to spin it around the shank but I just tie in on top and bottom and manipulate the wool as to where I want it. Its a bear to cast though as the wool soaks up water like a sponge.

Last edited by wt bash; 09-25-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:08 PM

I may try a smaller cone head instead of the helmet then and im terrible at tying muddlers what is the secret i always have trouble getting the deer hair to stay put on the shank and end up breaking the string....
Old 09-25-2012, 10:23 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Its just one of those things that take a while to get down. Heavier thread helps alot and leaving the area where you want to tie in bare. I take two loose wraps and chase the hair around till I like where its at then start to tighten.