The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 12:38 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough
Default Will this pass as a stonefly?

This is the first stone fly I have ever tied... It is kind of a proto type I only had white rubber leg material sitting around so let me know if it will pass. Its real simple lead around the shank, rubber legs, brown chenile, and a sharpie

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

rchouser12 likes this.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:45 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Will this pass as a stonefly?

Yes! Do a search for "Girdle Bug" & you should find that what you've tied is a very close representation of that pattern, which can imitate a Stonefly very well.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I figure it will do just fine, I caught quite a few trout using a gold ribbed hares ear in the past. I think size and color are the most important facets with dries, nymphs, and wets. Long ago I found myself striving for realistic and detailed tying. I used wing burners to create wings that were just the right size & shape for my Grey Fox and Green Drake patterns. I tied stone fly creepers that had great detail and crayfish that looked like they could crawl around the desktop. In the end I cannot say that any of my super realistic flies worked to any great degree better than standard patterns.

Aside from proper size & color; the presentation is what will catch the trout. In the case of drifting a stone fly nymph pattern, getting it to go down the right slot so that it passes in the feeding lane of a fish seems to be of more importance than realism in the tie. Current speeds always had a lot to do with my nymphing success too. Swifter currents were better, the fish had little spare time to examine the drifting item and had to grab it to see how it would be. In slower waters any of our flies are likely to undergo more careful scrutiny especially from older more experienced fish.

I'll close this off by saying that I think you should keep working on your patterns until their realism suits you. It was very rewarding to figure out how to tie really cool looking flies and the practice filled many a winters evening for me. Tying flies is much like learning to cast. Although we may not need to double haul a size 16 Ginger Quill 75 feet across Pine Creek very often, it is good to know that you can if you have to. Likewise with your flies, even if some rabbit fur dubbed to a thread with wax will catch a bunch of fish, it's good to know you have some nymphs along that look like they'll crawl away on the bottom if you were to drop one.

Ard
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-28-2012, 01:01 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

Wow that looks exactly like the Girdle Bug haha guess its not my idea Still will work though.

And Ard i believe they call you by here... I have realized the same thing as you once that fly hits the water it all looks the same to a hungry fish.

Thanks guys
Old 09-28-2012, 03:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Yes! Do a search for "Girdle Bug" & you should find that what you've tied is a very close representation of that pattern, which can imitate a Stonefly very well.
+1 to bigjim's comment vis a vis the Girdle Bug. Only thing I'd add is the 'legs/feelers' need to be balanced out, 'V shape' in front and balanced legs. That aside, will the fish care? Probably not. Usually heavily weighted here on the Rogue.

Girdle Bug (easy stonefly) | Fly Curious
Old 09-28-2012, 03:37 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Here.. weighted as well.. in all the colors..

Olive, brown, black, verigated brown/gold, etc - legs tend to be more often spandiflex vs rubber (like in the flies at the bottom of freds post).. i use both

Add a large bright orange bead to the head.. etc..
Old 09-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp5087 View Post
Wow that looks exactly like the Girdle Bug haha guess its not my idea Still will work though.

And Ard i believe they call you by here... I have realized the same thing as you once that fly hits the water it all looks the same to a hungry fish.

Thanks guys
Yes, you have re-invented the Girdle Bug, a very effective pattern on any water with stoneflies, that will do nicely!

Larry
Old 09-28-2012, 09:14 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

The fish will tell you if it is worthy.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:34 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I like to do with stones is to wrap the lead around the shank then pinch it so it flattens out. Stones have a wider profile than they are tall. Looks like your pattern has the right profile. That should fish well for stones.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:20 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

It could work. I have caught trout with cruder versions of what you have.

If I was to tie that fly, I would use skinnier rubber legs material. Also six legs should be coming off the thorax.

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
One thing I like to do with stones is to wrap the lead around the shank then pinch it so it flattens out. Stones have a wider profile than they are tall. Looks like your pattern has the right profile.
That, too.

Dennis