The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By tj5485
  • 1 Post By grassonfly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 01:08 AM

tj5485 is on a distinguished road
Default Toms Tantrum Tarpon fly.

**** the brain as usual. First time spinning deer hair and I clearly have a ways to go... And should have used more hair? Anyways. Once perfected... This bad boy will be thrown in Flamingo and the rest of the glades for Tarpon. I'm contemplating tying one in chartreuse as well to see how she rides with some ocean dwelling tarpon in May. Thoughts? Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:02 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: Toms Tantrum Tarpon fly.

I have tiedtoms tantrum for bass and my flies had a bulkier heAd. Also the tail only had black ostrich herl. Yours is a good looking fly. It will catch fish. Thicken up the head a bit. Also before you fish it. Dunk it underwater and squeeze thebdeer hair. This will remove the air and it will ride lower in the water.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:39 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Looks like it will catch!

But, what's the difference between this pattern & Tabory's Snake fly? They look very similar.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 10-27-2012, 12:45 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Nice looking fly! Jims right does look very similiar to Lous Snake Fly. Great pattern!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I don't see anything wrong with the spun hair at all....maybe that means I'm not very good at it but the fly looks great. Matter of fact it looks very much like a good salmon and steelhead fly with a little longer hook shank.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-27-2012, 03:36 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

Did you come across this fly at ole Florida?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:13 PM

tj5485 is on a distinguished road

Yup. Couldn't find instructions online so I free styled it.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:21 PM

i was there for the fly tying class when it was introduced. if you want help i would be glad to provide it.

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

i believe for that particular fly first blue angel hair sparkle is attached in the back. Then the ostrich herl is attached around the hook. then you put a collar of flashabou. then i believe you start the deer hair. you have thhe tips first which it looks like you have. THen you only use stubs and you spin away. when trimming you want a tubular shape with it a little flatter on the bottom so it rights hook down and it swims like it should. I have caught monster bass on this fly. its good stuff.