The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 10:22 PM

FlySlinger has a spectacular aura aboutFlySlinger has a spectacular aura about
Default Dette Style Coffin Fly

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Dette Style Coffin Fly

That's a nice tie of the pattern, please tell what that body is made from.

Nice,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

To me the body looks like bleached peacock herl

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-03-2012, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Looks can be deceiving Eunan,

I cheated and looked the pattern up, white or cream poly yarn with a white hackle palmered up then trimmed very short.

So how bout it Fly Slinger, ............ Inquiring minds want to know

Old 12-03-2012, 01:32 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

seems like you could get the same body style with a cream colored biot
Old 12-03-2012, 01:36 AM
Administrator

Yeah, but I figure they tied it with the yarn underbody so it could have a taper. Fly tiers are a fussy bunch you know.

Ard

Old 12-03-2012, 05:33 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Almost looks like pink floss over cream poly or dubbing. Looks like it'd float like a cork and any trout under a foot would have a hard time taking it under!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:43 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

FlySlinger, it's good to see you posting again! I really like the looks of your Catskill style dries.

Coffin Flies are deadly in the Poconos around the start of the Summer.

In keeping with Dette's and Townsend's tradition, I'd say the body is white saddle hackle trimmed short over a light underbody.

Did you know that Townsend named this the "Coffin Fly" because he designed it after attending a funeral.......!!

That's a beauty!

Pocono
Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

What a great fly, bet that thing will take some fish. And those ridges of fiber in the abdomen do make it seem like the bleached peacock fiber that Eunan suggest, but I have an astoundingly amateur eye I'd be happy to fish the pattern though, haha.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-03-2012, 01:02 PM

FlySlinger has a spectacular aura aboutFlySlinger has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
What a great fly, bet that thing will take some fish. And those ridges of fiber in the abdomen do make it seem like the bleached peacock fiber that Eunan suggest, but I have an astoundingly amateur eye I'd be happy to fish the pattern though, haha.
Hi Guys the body of the fly is made is made of Polyurathane Yarn the abdomen is made of trimmed feather the Hackle is made from Badger Hackle....Hi Pocono I havn't talked to you for a long time....How have you been.......

Talk to you Later

FlySlinger