The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 08:34 PM

flatsninja is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Would this fly work?

thats cool, i dont intend to copy anything as i just put things together and see, cool fly, i might get i chance to test out my design today
Old 12-08-2012, 06:06 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Flatsninja:

That's a very good looking pattern, and has a resemblance to a
Muddler Minnow. I think that the white rubber legs degract from the general pattern, for that reason; but of course, I can see that you are also going for something
not dissimilar to a crayfish pattern also.

I see no reason why a general attractor pattern like that would not work.

I think you are an innovative tier. I like your work, and your streamer is just beautiful and quite interesting. I will look forward to see
more of your innovations, now that I know you will be posting them. Thats an Olive Grizzly Hackle on the top, right?
Old 12-08-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
Flatsninja:

That's a very good looking pattern, and has a resemblance to a
Muddler Minnow. I think that the white rubber legs degract from the general pattern, for that reason; but of course, I can see that you are also going for something
not dissimilar to a crayfish pattern also.

I see no reason why a general attractor pattern like that would not work.

I think you are an innovative tier. I like your work, and your streamer is just beautiful and quite interesting. I will look forward to see
more of your innovations, now that I know you will be posting them. Thats an Olive Grizzly Hackle on the top, right?
aha lol thanks, one thing, what streamer are you referring to as ive only ever really posted a couple of things and yer its a yellowish grizzly hackle on top of them and ive only been tying for about a couple months ahah and i have limited resources being only 14!,
i took the chance to test them out and i had one issue, that they sank upside down most of the time, but i can fix that my making it so the majority of weight is on the right side of the hook, well thats trial and error i guess, ill try and perfect this one and neaten it up abit but they do cast quite well.
brucerducer likes this.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:22 PM

i tied up another one which i got to sink correct, just needed weight on the bottom by cutting a couple strips of wire then tying them underneath
Old 12-09-2012, 08:32 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatsninja View Post
aha lol thanks, one thing, what streamer are you referring to as ive only ever really posted a couple of things and yer its a yellowish grizzly hackle on top of them and ive only been tying for about a couple months ahah and i have limited resources being only 14!,
i took the chance to test them out and i had one issue, that they sank upside down most of the time, but i can fix that my making it so the majority of weight is on the right side of the hook, well thats trial and error i guess, ill try and perfect this one and neaten it up abit but they do cast quite well.
Ah then, you are only 14 years old. That's fantastic to tie that well.
At 14, I could tie my shoes without help.

Here's the Muddler Minnow, a well known streamer pattern for fly fishermen and fly fisherwomen.

I wonder if you have ever turned your hand to tying a Crayfish Pattern?
One of my dreams is to be able to tie a good, lightweight one, with Feather Claws, etc.

I bet you will do great things in Fly Tying.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:10 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
.... that looks like a cross between the merkin and the CRAB APPLE. A popular flats fly here in southern NewEngland

Click the image to open in full size.
Now that is a fly 'Beyond Cool.'
Old 12-09-2012, 09:21 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

flatsninja, for a young lad just starting with tying you're doing quite well. Your crabs look good, but as you've learned, how they perform is important, and real crabs don't turn upside down. Since you have limited resources, IMO, it would be wise to concentrate on how things act & move & less on the actual form. A well known Florida guide once told me that it's more important that the flies for crabs & other flats creatures we imitate to move realistically rather than look real, as they're most often buried in sand, mud or grass while attempting to hide from predators that are detecting them via their movements. The predators usually only see parts of the real things as they attempt to flee.

If you look at patterns such as merkins (yarn crabs), Gotcha's or Crazy Charlies, and many other popular patterns, they all have basic shapes of crabs or shrimp, and materials that move well, some, such as rabbit hair, rubber legs, marabou or ostrich herl will move even when the fly is at rest.

In the past, I attempted to mimic various prey with great detail, but learned that simple patterns that moved realistically far out fished the detailed patterns.

Take some time when you can to observe the various prey species you wish to imitate & pay particular attention to their movements, even when they're sitting motionless, as you may still see subtle movement. Observe them when they're traveling normally & when they're fleeing. These are the features that you should be including in effective patterns with materials that mimic such motions.

There's nothing wrong with what you're doing, keep creating & tying, as that's the best way to learn. Just keep in mind that how the fly moves is most often more important than it's actual form.
Rip Tide, theboz and yonder like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!