The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 04:17 AM

flatsninja is on a distinguished road
Default Would this fly work?

Hello, im pretty new to tying and i dont like following steps, i like making up my own and it usually ends bad because of that but i came up with this funny crabby fly which i think may have potential
Material:
size 2 long shank hook
mono eyes enhanced with hot melt glue
orange krystal flash
one splitshot sinker (squashed to the hook)
some tan felt for the body and some hand collected feathers (from chicken, turkey and other poultry) for the feelers and body detail
plus olive yellow wool tied merkin style under that with some old backing line for legs..
Click the image to open in full size.
i like it, i call it the " Flats Crabcake" what do you think? the photos do no justice, i intend this fly for sand flats or calm beaches and sandy areas
Old 12-07-2012, 05:31 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: Would this fly work?

Try it, the fish will tell you.
mcnerney and yonder like this.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:47 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Fly design is an art in my mind. I'm a firm believer in "working" flies. When you designed this fly, you had a pattern in mind. So, it's not done "to the letter". Looks like a crab to me. Fish it as a crab would swim. My suggestion, tie two, in event it works and you loose one, you have a back up. A while back, I was in a local fly shop. I overheard the man at the counter asking about realistic looking flies. The answer he got, because it looks real doesn't mean they will guarantee more fish. It's the action given to the fly that counts. I agree!
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:03 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Not too sure how that lead weight will work (staying put) off the end of a fly line. That aside, the fly is very reminiscent of the flies you'd use for salt water flat's fishing (Bone Fish, etc).

DANG ME! Just noted your post count, welcome to the Board!!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:11 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I love mixing things up and trying new things. My box is filled with new creations just waiting to be tested in the spring. Only time will tell, if the fish will gobble it up.
looks really cool though. If nothing else it should peak their curiosity and catch their attention.
yonder likes this.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:20 AM

thanks guys, i havnt even really got a proper setup for fly fishing yet so i cant test it straight away but i just need to buy the rod now, i have hand collected a big bulk load of spotty stripey feather so i though i could mix it up a little, and fred the weight should hold and it it squished pretty tight on it... ill tie up a couple more to see
Old 12-07-2012, 06:27 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Hey Flats...an FYI. They do make weighted lead bodies for flies. Attach it to the hook shank, slide some mylar tubing over it,(or even shrink tube...hmmmm) and it wont fall off.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:38 AM

Thanks okuma,
i tied another similar one just this one has a bigger body and you cant see the sinker and the feathers are different, the sinker wont fall off if its deep enough over the hook and pressing in firm enough, i also wrapped it with dubbing so it was hidden underneath.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:28 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Every famous fly that we know of today was once an experimental prototype....you could be tying the next "super crab!!" I like to experiment at the vise also, and sometimes my creations actually work....and this just adds to the total enjoyment of a day spent flyfishing!!! Let us know how it works out.
mcnerney likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

.... that looks like a cross between the merkin and the CRAB APPLE. A popular flats fly here in southern NewEngland