The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 6 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By caseywise
  • 3 Post By pszy22
  • 1 Post By popperfly
  • 1 Post By pszy22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 11:15 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default First tenkara flies

For Christmas I just ordered myself a Tenkara rod. I've talked to people who are using them on some front range creeks and I'm curious to try it myself. I think it will be perfect to carry along with me when I go for a hike with my daughter on my back. Additionally, I just got my new vise in the mail today! A Renzetti Traveler. I was eager to give it a try so I sat down and tried my hand at Tenkara style forward hackle flies. Here are three, I welcome comments and pointers folks might have.

All three are tied with black 8/0 uni thread on scud hooks. The larger two are #6 (big I know) and the smaller is a #12. All have peacock herl behind the hackle.

with small gold wire ribbing and ringneck pheasant hackle
Click the image to open in full size.

a white feather from a ringneck pheasant for the hackle

this one has a pheasant tail abdomen and Hungarian partridge hackle

Thanks for looking!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:31 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: First tenkara flies

hi william,
i dont know much about tenkara fishing, but i would say those flies look very "buggy", and will most likely catch fish.
good luck with them

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 12-14-2012, 05:32 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Those are some great looking flies. I can pretty much guarantee you will catch fish with them. The #6 are a little bit on the large size, I think you'll find you have the best luck using 12 - 14s.

If you are fishing moving waters, a couple of considerations -

Choose your hackles depending on the type of water you'll be fishing, stiffer hackles for faster currents.

The best advice I can give you is to vary your presentation, if you aren't catching fish using a dead drift, animate your presentation. Swing your fly, twitch it, skate it .... If you aren't catching fish, don't change your fly, change your presentation. Flies like the ones you tied are fairly nondescript, purposely so. They look a little bit like alot of different things. So rather than rely on your fly to look exactly like this or that, you want it to behave exactly like this of that. (hope that makes sense).

Have fun!
mcnerney, fredaevans and williamhj like this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 12-14-2012, 12:25 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Those are some great looking flies. I can pretty much guarantee you will catch fish with them. The #6 are a little bit on the large size, I think you'll find you have the best luck using 12 - 14s.

If you are fishing moving waters, a couple of considerations -

Choose your hackles depending on the type of water you'll be fishing, stiffer hackles for faster currents.

The best advice I can give you is to vary your presentation, if you aren't catching fish using a dead drift, animate your presentation. Swing your fly, twitch it, skate it .... If you aren't catching fish, don't change your fly, change your presentation. Flies like the ones you tied are fairly nondescript, purposely so. They look a little bit like alot of different things. So rather than rely on your fly to look exactly like this or that, you want it to behave exactly like this of that. (hope that makes sense).

Have fun!
Thanks for the feedback! I'll work on some on smaller hooks. Tied a few on #12s but need to pick up some curved hooks in #14 and #16. I look forward to getting the rod on the water and working on presentation. Sadly I've read that the front range creeks where these rods seem to work very well are freezing over.

Where abouts in Michigan are you? I lived in Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor for around 15 or so years, moving the Colorado just last year.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:29 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Tenkara fly is a great fly to use; I have been using them for several months now on the Elk River catching a mix bag of rainbows and browns. Definitely have some in your fly box, canít go wrong
williamhj likes this.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 12-14-2012, 05:00 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Nice, I learned something new today I have never heard of this type of fishing, so now you got me looking into it haha and probably spending money haha
Old 12-15-2012, 03:52 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

William,

I'm about 30 miles from both your former homesteads. I split time between Farmington Hills and Newaygo.

Stuie,

Be careful, it's addictive. Don't say I didn't warn you.

have fun,
williamhj likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo